One man squeeze chute operation

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I might have mentioned this before but here goes. I put feed in front of the headgate on the chute. The cattle go in without anyone having to push them through. It takes a little while to get new ones use to it. Once they get the hang of it you never have to worry about pushing them through. We have been doing this for about five years now and it sure makes everything real easy. The wife realy appreciates the ease in which this works.

Thanks, I've always thought about doing that and when our new pens are finished, I plan to run the herd through them with a reward (probably hay) after the squeeze a few times before working them.

lcupit":1922m7da said:
I might have mentioned this before but here goes. I put feed in front of the headgate on the chute. The cattle go in without anyone having to push them through. It takes a little while to get new ones use to it. Once they get the hang of it you never have to worry about pushing them through. We have been doing this for about five years now and it sure makes everything real easy. The wife realy appreciates the ease in which this works.

We do similar but as weaned calves they have to go through the alley/sweep/chute to get to their grain. After they're in we open a gate so they can go out without going back through everything. The only problem we've had is when we get ready to start breeding it's hard to keep the heifers from trying to go through the set up instead of the cow you want. After the weaning process the only time they see the chute is at breeding and vaccinating, but we never have a problem with the ones that were trained. The older cows can be a pain, but all of the 4 year olds and younger are a piece of cake.

dun

I'd practice our heifers this year running through the chute, I'd push the whole herd of them through it and back through the side exit back through the entrance. They got very comfortable with it and finally didn't cause issues after I got done with them. The first ones hated the chute when we AIed them. So I had to do something.

We hold chute drills every month or so....gives the son-in-law something to do and makes the cows easier to work when we need them in the chute. Most of the time we leave the chute open and find them in the catch pen...seem to like going through the chute backwards for no reward at the other end.
Will try the feed trick and see how it works out....will beat rattling a grain bucket to get them to move...DMc

Latest posts