? on vacs

Help Support CattleToday:

wideurt

Reaction score
How are you all doing. Got a few ?s . My heifers are finally having babys , got four on the ground six to go. Vet sent home some vacs First one is IBR 6L5 Grand/Respromune .Says to give cows & calves 5cc. Should I wait till calves are at least 8 weeks , And the cows that have not had their babys yet will I need to give their babys a shot . Black leg or all vacs shouldn't you wait till calves are at least 8 weeks or is there an exception to the rule. Last ? what is the most least stressfull way to cature and work calves over. I want to tag , band , vaccinate the ones taht are old enough. Thanks

I have always been told to wait until the calves are 3 months old to vaccinate. I think the other shots should we given to the cow before breeding. When in doubt go back to the vet and make sure.

I would wait on the vacs until they are 3 months old as well. That being said, my vet came out to burn horns on one calf at about 4 weeks old, gave both of them ViraShield and ScourGuard to protect against lung issues and scours. The rest will come at weaning. Your calves recieved immunities from the cows colostrum ~ giving vacs before they are 3 months old is a wash. Hold off.

Do a search on this, I'm not sure if it was MM or who ~ but someone put up some good advice on this recently.

There is probably a reason the vet recommended the vaccinations. Why not check with him/her to find out when you should do it?

I brought back an older thread on this . I think everybody made their case fairly well .In the end it's one of those things you'll have to decide on your own .We here of so many young calves that are sick, if these calves are protected by maternal antibodies then why are they sick ? It's too easy to say, well some calves get sick that's just the way it is . Every time we lose one that comes right off of the profit .

Larry

Latest posts