Oldies

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno

Reaction score
I thought some of our older members might enjoy some oldies in scatter guns.
These have been passed down.
Winchester Model 97 made in 1906
Remington Model 11 made 1914
Winchester Model 25 only 88k were made.

There were several Winchester Model 97s among my Uncles. I don't know if any are still among my cousins.

Bright Raven":30glr1ae said:
There were several Winchester Model 97s among my Uncles. I don't know if any are still among my cousins.

I decided to clean up and oil everything in one of the safes this morning.
That just happened to be the old shotguns in that one.
I killed my first deer at 8 with the Model 11.
The Model 97 has taken more than 200 across four generations.

Caustic Burno":36aqjg2c said:
Bright Raven":36aqjg2c said:

I decided to clean up and oil everything in one of the safes this morning.
That just happened to be the old shotguns in that one.
I killed my first deer at 8 with the Model 11.
The Model 97 has taken more than 200 across four generations.

I remember seeing my uncles packing their 97 shotguns rabbit hunting. I followed them when they hunted and watched them roll many rabbits as the beagles were in hot pursuit. Great memories. I thought every shotgun had to have a hammer. My first shotgun was a Winchester Model 37 singleshot break open. It had a low hammer compared to the 97. I was a little disappointed at first.

My brother one year older, got dad's 16 ga. Winchester Model 37. I bought my Model 37 in 20 ga.

My brother is mechanically inclined and tried to improve on everything. First thing he did was try to bend the back of the hammer up so it had a higher profile. It broke so he only had a half of a hammer. Then he got the idea to make a round of double ought buckshot. He opened a round of Number 6 and poured out the BBs. Not having lead, he found a set of old ball bearings. He removed the steel hardened balls and put them in the round and recrimped it by hand. He fired it. Everything was good until he looked down the barrel. Steel ball bearings don't give any. The barrel was streaked from end to end.

At first I thought you were starting a discussion about greybeard, me, and yourself being old. Guess that will be another topic.
I had to look up the Model 25 because I can't remember ever seeing one. But since it was only made in 12 ga I might have not paid attention. I have a 97 and a couple 12's in 16 ga.

kenny thomas":25kjwnuo said:
At first I thought you were starting a discussion about greybeard, me, and yourself being old. Guess that will be another topic.
I had to look up the Model 25 because I can't remember ever seeing one. But since it was only made in 12 ga I might have not paid attention. I have a 97 and a couple 12's in 16 ga.

Model 25's are as rare as chicken lips Kenny. This one has a 4 digit serial number.

Caustic Burno":w0ktd2v0 said:
I thought some of our older members might enjoy some oldies in scatter guns.
These have been passed down.
Winchester Model 97 made in 1906
Remington Model 11 made 1914
Winchester Model 25 only 88k were made.

Is that Remington Model 11 the one that gets about as much meat on the stock end as the barrel end??

Bright Raven":3p6dz3kj said:
My brother one year older, got dad's 16 ga. Winchester Model 37. I bought my Model 37 in 20 ga.

My brother is mechanically inclined and tried to improve on everything. First thing he did was try to bend the back of the hammer up so it had a higher profile. It broke so he only had a half of a hammer. Then he got the idea to make a round of double ought buckshot. He opened a round of Number 6 and poured out the BBs. Not having lead, he found a set of old ball bearings. He removed the steel hardened balls and put them in the round and recrimped it by hand. He fired it. Everything was good until he looked down the barrel. Steel ball bearings don't give any. The barrel was streaked from end to end.

You can shoot double aught out of a 16 it's my favorite round here followed by number 1's out of a 20. You get 8 double aught in a 16 and 9 #1's in a twenty. Where things go south is if you try this with a full choke gun, the math doesn't work out. Full choke on a 16 is .627 ID 00 buck is .32 OD modified is .647. They can run side by side in the mod choke. On a modified choke it's off to the races.

Caustic Burno":38kg5bn6 said:
Well let's put it this way TB, sissy's should refrain from shouldering it.
Thought has never even crossed my mind since neck surgery.
Yeah that's what that thing was I shot a few times way back when I weighed about 120 lbs. soaking wet. Dam near tore my shoulder off with 3 inch magnums in it. Never again.

Latest posts