Older Bull question

Help Support CattleToday:

Ricker

Reaction score
Need some advice from you veteran cattle folks. I am a newbie as you know.

Today while I was out checking a weak area in the fencing, I witnessed something that has me wondering. Two neighboring bulls were very interested in my herd today and were staying away from their cows and sniffing over my fence toward mine. I assumed maybe one of my cows was in heat.

I have an older bull (over 7 yrs old) and as I was there today I observed him and a cow off alone while the others were grazing. She was acting very interested in him (I figured she was the one in heat), getting on the back of the bull, licking his face and neck, etc. She got on his back at least three times while I was there. It seemed to me like she was saying
"Here is what you do Mister!"

He seemed oblivous for a while then he decided to try it a few times. He did for a split second (got on her back) but had nothing to work with, it appeared to me. He went back to grazing but she was still interested and kept trying to get his attentions with the same behaviours as before.

We are getting rid of him before long anyway, but for future reference, would this behaviour necassarily mean he is getting too old and not able to breed? Seems like he woulda jumped at the chance for some cow action. Maybe all of this is just normal cattle acivity and I am reading too much into it.

Also, do cows in heat (or not in heat) get on the backs of bulls very often?

I am learning and enjoying the entire processes. I know this post may seem stupid to some of you but I guarantee there are some things I know about (ex. what time of year do red drum school up together in Florida, or how much does the average manatee weigh, etc.) that you have no clue on so go easy on me. :lol:

being as the bull is 7yrs old its time to change bulls.cows do ride the bulls an lick on their faces an necks.thats normal an they do ride the bulls.since they was off from the herd id say he mounted her before you saw them.

older and more experienced bulls don't get as excited until it is time to do their business. a young bull seems more aggressive and anxious. i bought a 20 month old hereford bull last month he literally runs the cow that is in, trying to mount after she is past standing. they learn with time and experience.

Ricker":3sx7vroz said:
bigbull338":3sx7vroz said:
cows do ride the bulls an lick on their faces an necks.thats normal an they do ride the bulls.

Only when they are in heat?
well ive seen some lick the bulls head an neck that didnt appear tobe in heat.so it doesnt mean she is in heat.but if shes riding the bull shes in heat most likely.

Though there are no absolutes in nature, my bet would be since she was going off to herself and instigating the contact - she was in heat. I assume you meant when your bull mounted her and nothing happened - he didn't unsheath his sword. Not a good sign. Just my opinion, but I'd be a little worried about the bull and check him out a little closer.

Remminds me of the old story about when a farmer turned a young bull and an old bull into a pasture with a bunch of cows. The young bull said, let's run over there and breed some of those cows. The old bull said, lets walk over there and breed all of those cows.

dun

Jogeephus":8fqdj06g said:
Though there are no absolutes in nature, my bet would be since she was going off to herself and instigating the contact - she was in heat. I assume you meant when your bull mounted her and nothing happened - he didn't unsheath his sword. Not a good sign. Just my opinion, but I'd be a little worried about the bull and check him out a little closer.
That is exactly what I meant: no sword.

Thanks for all the replies. I read them all and I am learning more every single day. Will have my first calves soon, most of the cows were already bred hopefully. That will be a new experience I am looking forward to.

When a bull is really overworked, and I mean really overworked he sometimes show little interest in the cows and they ride him, however that will only seldom happen in the most extreme cases.

This wouldn't help you much, but I thought it interesting:

one of my friends sold a mature hereford bull and after about two weeks he get a phonecall from the buyer saying that the bull is no good. He is not even interested in the cows all he does is lie in the shade by the pond. He does'nt ven go grazing with the cows and that he was sure the bull would die of starvation and all the cows will end up open.

They agreed to replace the bull and fetched him after he had been with the cows for 30 days. The new bull went out grazing with the cows and sniffing them all the time and even tried to mount a few, but they wouldn't stand.

come calving season all of the 35 cows the first bull was with calved within 28 days. He was just managing his resources it seems.

Some bulls wait for night to do their business. Keep an eye on her 17 to 21 days from now. If he took care of her she won't come back in(she won't be interested in him and he won't be interested in her).

dun":3uno0c0x said:
Remminds me of the old story about when a farmer turned a young bull and an old bull into a pasture with a bunch of cows. The young bull said, let's run over there and breed some of those cows. The old bull said, lets walk over there and breed all of those cows.

dun

Also reminds me of the tale where 2 youg bulls got out in the neighbor's field where there were some cows and a huge Brahma bull down in the valley. Immediately one of the young bulls started pawing and snorting loudly. The other young bull said " what are you doing, you want to get us killed ?" To which the other replied " No I just want to make sure he know I AM A Bull.

Don't know about bull servicing of other breeds; however, I think Longhorn bulls continue to do their job for many years. Our 2 oldest are about 8 yrs old and haven't missed a lick.

Cows, calves, heifers, will mount one another as part of "breeding practice", exerting their dominance position in the pecking order, and/or paying attention to a female in heat. Bull calves do this as a dominance thing.

On a side bar, the act of any animal mounting and/or putting front feet on the back of another of same species is part of a dominance thing. If the perpetrator grabs the victim around the neck it is a dominance/submission event. Juveniles do this in play for practice in learning how to be "successful" adults...and, occurs by observing others in the group.

As far as I know, none of our breeding age females are open going into winter. Fourteen months to 14 years of age.

Latest posts