Old round balers

Help Support CattleToday:

Beefbusw

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with the old bar and chain type round baler such as the older new holland? Was just wondering the pros and cons of them versus the rubber belted ones. Thanks to all who reply.

I used M&Ws around here for quite a few years and liked them alot.

I won't speak for the NH series, but the M&W chain and bar types were easily the best softcore balers on the market. They had a relatively (to belt balers) slow chain speed so they were gentle on the hay. The chains allowed for greater compaction of the bale material. My M&W 5x5 used to easily roll a 1300 lb alfalfa bale with the pressure turned down to mid-way or lower. At maximum pressure, I was rolling a 1500 lb bale, which rivalled the weights of most 5x6 soft core balers. The chain balers were also nice in that you didn't have to worry about broken belts. You just rolled into the field, shot some grease and oil at it, and went baling.

If you're looking at an older NH, just check over the bearings and main chains very carefully. Those chains break, and it gets costly in a hurry.

Rod

So if given the choice between this type or an old International 2400 rubber belt baler, I assume you would choose the chain style? I ask because I own the international and could get a decent deal on the new holland and was wondering if this would be an upgrade or not. Thanks for the reply Diamond. :tiphat:

Yep, I would as long as the NH was in decent shape. There are a pile of those old NHs in the field, still working well.

<chuckle> Especially when you consider the IH 2400. This is the same baler as a Hesston 5510 Rounder, which I feel is one of the worst balers ever built. Of course the one I had around here was horrible, so maybe I'm not the best one to talk to :)

If you can, look around for an M&W 1800 or a newer 55/56 series. They are generally available for less than other comparable balers and they really work well.

Rod

New Holland chain balers were not good in alfalfa. They lost much of the leaves. But in grass hay they were OK. There is a reason that most balers use belts. Maybe under ideal conditions a chain baler would do a good job on alfalfa but we seldom have ideal conditions. Just my observations. Farmguy

Huh, thats odd that you say that. My chain balers were MUCH easier on alfalfa than any belt baler. I'm running a 664 right now and I really miss the chain balers on rough ground when I have to drop ground speed as I'm losing more leaf. Perhaps the NH chain balers are different than M&W chain balers, but the NH guys up here are also baling alfalfa with no difficulty.

Rod

Thanks again for the input. Every season when I fire up the ol'2400, I swear that is the last season for it but here comes spring and its still here. Hoping to change that this season but dont want to break the bank. Not with the small acreage I bale every year.( 50 ac/ 3-4 times a year). Hiring a custom operator around here means putting up poor hay when you are on their time schedule. Think I will give the chain balers a closer look.

KRONE currently makes chain and slat round balers, don't know anybody that has one but I did look at one at a farm show this past fall, if I remember right they were comparably priced with Vermeer, etc

I have an old NH chain baler. It's an 85x AutoWrap. Its a pretty tough baler and seems to work pretty good. It will miss a tie every once in a while but consistently kicks out 1300-1400 pound bales all day long.

My only complaint is that the bales are loose. The adjustments are as far as they will go in the tighten direction but they still come out loose.

I lost a floor chain bearing the first year I had it in service and darn near burned everything up including my hay field. I had a 5 gal water jug in the tractor and managed to get everything put out before it got out of control. I have since replaced all the floor chain bearings, one top chain idler bearing, three bars, floor chains and guides. I broke one of the tension cables up top last year and replaced both of them. That's when I had the opportunity to increase tension to try and tighten the bale to no avail.

If I had to do it over I would have chosen the belt baler. I personally think the belt balers make a much tighter bale and they certainly make a much smoother surface to help turn the water if you have to store them outside. JMHO

Freddie":1kzdrdkl said:
KRONE currently makes chain and slat round balers, don't know anybody that has one but I did look at one at a farm show this past fall, if I remember right they were comparably priced with Vermeer, etc

I have a Krone they are popular in this area. I also run a Vermeer things I like and dislike about both overall I prefer the Krone.

Caustic--there are several post on here about a difference in the tightness and smoothness of bales coming from chain balers compared to belt balers. Is there any big difference in the bales made by your KRONE compared to those from your Vermeer baler?

Freddie":2dzqnrsh said:
Caustic--there are several post on here about a difference in the tightness and smoothness of bales coming from chain balers compared to belt balers. Is there any big difference in the bales made by your KRONE compared to those from your Vermeer baler?

Thats the reason I like the Krone better as it makes a better bale every time. There is also nothing to adjust on the Krone as the Vermeer, I do go through 15 or 20 roller bearings a year on the Krone. It has 88 roller bearings the chain run on. I like the Vermeer better as it is electically ties from the cab versus the Krone you have to manuelly trip. The two brands are both sold locally here It is six of one half dozen of the other.

Narrowing down my choices for balers now.Just wondering your opinion on which machine is the best bang for my buck. Choices are: 8460 Case IH for 2500, Vermeer 605 F for 1700, both are belt machines, or the
New holland slat and chain baler which I believe is a model 853,could be wrong on that tho, for 2900. Or would I just be better off sticking with my old IH 2400 seeing as I know what it already is(which is part of the problem LOL). Thanks for any input.

I think I would stick with my old baler for another year or two and save up some money for a little newer baler.Might also find a good deal on one in the fall compared to spring.

EAT BEEF":26pvumd5 said:
I think I would stick with my old baler for another year or two and save up some money for a little newer baler.Might also find a good deal on one in the fall compared to spring.
Yes do that. I had a 851 NH for about 20 years and it was a good baler but was what it was. It still put gray hairs in my head and glad it is gone. They are just not made to hold up like the better belt balers. I have a JD 535 now and it is like going from dark to daylight. I got 1800.00 out of my old one and payed 8750.00 for the JD and was the best thing I have done in a long time. It is a 96 model and did not have much hay through it. I lucked up on it and would not go back.

if that NH 851 chain baler was in top shape it would bring $4000 or more.ive seen some NH chain balers that they want $6000 to $8000 for.

Latest posts