Old Red Cow

Help Support CattleToday:

Partyguy816

Reaction score
Hello everyone, been lurking for a while trying to learn as much as possible. Dad ended up getting sick with cancer so I've pretty much taken over our family land. Everything I have is black angus, but I have this old red cow that I'm not sure what breed she is. Her calf is half black angus and whatever she is. Thoughts? First time posting so if it's too big, I'll delete it.
4UUKVe1.jpg

Welcome to CT. I would lean towards a limi cross.... long length....... pretty nice udder for an older cow. Sorry to hear about your dad. Hope you can make things work and keep the cows if that is what you want.
Picture was great. Come on back....

I would just be making an uneducated guess. I suppose you could send in a DNA test and find out for sure. Maybe trace her family back several generations to see if she is related to any famous bovines. If she is an older cow and raises a nice calf every year, I wouldn't worry about breed unless you are planning on starting a purebred herd in which case she would be a misfit breed. Sorry to hear about your dad and hope all works out well for you all.

Agreed with not being Beefmaster. Our BF's have quite a bit of ear. There's no mistaking it.

Limo would be my first guess. Any idea how old she is? She looks like she can still do her job!
If I was guessing (and I totally am), I'd say 18 to 20 years old. She was on one of his old lease pastures that we haven't had in some time now and I'm not even sure how long before that she was around. She's extremely tame because she let me walk right up to her baby while she was standing there and didn't have a care in the world about me.

Dsth, I don't plan on having any purebred herds. Most everything is black angus now. There are 3 with white faces, but the rest are solid black. It's nothing special really, just something to tend to as a hobby more than anything else, and it's only about 20 head. The bull is from dad's old bull from another pasture, so at least I'm starting fresh there lol. None of these cows are from his bloodline. I'll throw up a pic of him later this evening when I get off work.

First picture (facing) was March 2020, the second picture (sideways) was 3 weeks ago. He's growing, but these are probably not the best pics to show.
Bull-2-640x480.jpg
Bull-1-640x480.jpg

My oldest cow is also red and my entire herd is black. She's my best cow though and gives me a great calf every year. I like to think every herd needs a firey red headed lady...

Latest posts