Old cow

Help Support CattleToday:

umalusi

Reaction score
I got this old cow who has hardly any teeth left. She is pregnant and will calf in October/November. It is winter here now (South Africa), and the cattle get hay and a protein lick. What can I give her to improve her condition and what should I give her once she got her calf to make sure she can rear it.

umalusi":13xffcpz said:
I got this old cow who has hardly any teeth left. She is pregnant and will calf in October/November. It is winter here now (South Africa), and the cattle get hay and a protein lick. What can I give her to improve her condition and what should I give her once she got her calf to make sure she can rear it.

Its good to have another South African on the boards!

depending on the condition the cow is in at the moment, I'd continue with the hay and proteien lick. Depending on where in SA you are you should have grass from October onwards. If there is enough palatable grass she shouldn't need much more, if she still struggles an energy lick will help, but if the problem is that her teeth can't cut the grass off anymore you have very little choice but to give a production lick with some added gorund corn or ground small grains.

If she has hardly any teeth left this should be her last calf.

If you need more specific advise, send me a pm with your location and I'll be able to give better advise.

Latest posts