okra

Help Support CattleToday:

BRYANT

Reaction score
First I am no gardener. I plant very few things mostly a few peppers, few tomatoes mainly for salsa. But we eat a lot of Okra so I plant around a 125 okra plants my plants usually get around 8 to 10 tall and the seed I use are seeds I have saved from my okra for the last few years. This year they are not doing to well I got some very pretty, healthy looking plants that are 3' tall with big dark green leaves but no okra and not even any blooms. The okra that I let go to seed to save I always try to get off of the plants that do the best, but this year its not looking to good, I was a little late getting them planted but still I got plants that look good but no okra and the plants that don't look as good is starting to produce some okra.

every time you cut a piece of okra off cut the entire leaf stem and all off thats directly under the okra. Also go ahead and cut the first couple of leaves off the plant

M-5":3p8kug2t said:
Take switch and beat the leaves damaging them some. . Trust me, what do you have to loose they are not producing now.
Many years ago I had a garden beside the house and we weren't getting much okra out of it. My mom's housekeeper said "you need to beat it with the broom". I thought she was joking. Later on I saw her out in the garden swinging away at the okra with the same broom she used to sweep floors with. Okra production picked up after that.

ga.prime":10jzh49k said:
M-5":10jzh49k said:
Take switch and beat the leaves damaging them some. . Trust me, what do you have to loose they are not producing now.
Many years ago I had a garden beside the house and we weren't getting much okra out of it. My mom's housekeeper said "you need to beat it with the broom". I thought she was joking. Later on I saw her out in the garden swinging away at the okra with the same broom she used to sweep floors with. Okra production picked up after that.

I'm still just as dumb as I was when I woke up this morning but at least I know something now that I didnt know this morning.

JMJ Farms":1s89dxet said:
ga.prime":1s89dxet said:
M-5":1s89dxet said:

I'm still just as dumb as I was when I woke up this morning but at least I know something now that I didnt know this morning.
I think my okra is getting a good ol fashion whooping come morning :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse:

Ok, so now my Okra is producing BUT I now have thousands of small ants on the plants looks like they are going for the blooms right before they open. what can I do about this problem???

Ants love to climb up okra stalks and chew on the pods at the stem end. I spray my whole garden area with ant repellant prior to planting and ants don't get on anything.

JMJ Farms":x2xb7q3g said:
ga.prime":x2xb7q3g said:
M-5":x2xb7q3g said:

Same here, and the mental visuals I have about this okra whuppin are comical as he//