Oilfield​

Help Support CattleToday:

From 'the old days'..
We had built our own slingshot rig in La that was fast rig up and down. It worked ok, but then we bought 3 brand new OIME rigs out of Odessa. The 3 floor engines and 2 mud pumps sat right on the ground and a driveline powered the rotary and draw works.

Then someone got the bright idea of us getting into the workover end and we got 4 wore out pos WOs from some company out of North La and took them all to our yard just West of Caldwell. 2 Wilsons and 2 Cranes.
There was ALWAYS something broke or about to break on them Crane Carrier rigs.

Trying to get back in the hole with the hydramatic brake's shaft sheared off. Caught the drum brakes afire too.

One of the OIME rigs:

I think this one was a job we were on down at Bay City a couple years later. Looks to be too much pipe in the derrick for a chalk hole.

Got on location late one day to rig up and late that evening found out half the rig was impounded without a permit on the side of I-10. No crew quarters yet and I had to have a bath.. :lol:

I like those pics. We can still take pictures. Just so we don't post up any pictures of anybody doing anything wrong. If you're into reading I read a book once called wildcatters. It's about a geologist in about the 1930s.

I saw that yesterday. We were told some other info on it. They were out of the hole working bha. Apparently didn't check for pressure before opening the blinds and the gas was sitting there waiting on them. I drilled just southwest of there for a couple years. The well will tell you what you need to know if your paying attention to it.

All the news reporter act like they don't know anything about drilling rigs. One said they rigged up last week and the rig is bigger than a drilling rig. :roll: They all say there was 20 people working when it happen. 20 people on location maybe. 5 working. You can guess where they were. The last report said only 3 missing though. It's a bad deal. Anybody on the floor wouldn't even had time to react to something like that
Edit. 5 missing. 3 drill crew. 1 company man. 1 directional driller. And the report I got yesterday may not have been correct

Craig Miller":2rdsc9n9 said:
I like those pics. We can still take pictures. Just so we don't post up any pictures of anybody doing anything wrong. If you're into reading I read a book once called wildcatters. It's about a geologist in about the 1930s.

Got a bunch of old pictures somewhere of the Goose Creek and Barbers Hill oil fields . Great uncle was contractor and built a lot of the wooden derricks. The lumber came from my great grandfathers saw mill. Dad worked for his uncle.

Craig Miller":rralrulw said:
All the news reporter act like they don't know anything about drilling rigs. One said they rigged up last week and the rig is bigger than a drilling rig. :roll: They all say there was 20 people working when it happen. 20 people on location maybe. 5 working. You can guess where they were. The last report said only 3 missing though. It's a bad deal. Anybody on the floor wouldn't even had time to react to something like that
Edit. 5 missing. 3 drill crew. 1 company man. 1 directional driller. And the report I got yesterday may not have been correct

They recovered the bodies today, there were five.

Allenw":ji532tyf said:
Craig Miller":ji532tyf said:

They recovered the bodies today, there were five.

This was a bad situation with no good outcome.
I have went in with bunker gear and got my share through the years.
As hard as it sounds the bodies are better in many cases.
When you are carrying a man with skin hanging off asking you am I going to die. You know you are carrying a deadman and lying to him all the way to life flight.

Craig Miller":3hevayp5 said:

The 5 that will killed were in the dog house. Must have been one heck of an explosion.

crimsoncrazy":3trsu3im said:
Must have been one heck of an explosion.

I hope it was. That rig is identical to mine. A diffrent color paint on the side is the only difference. It's high tech for an onshore rig. Amphion computer control system. Ran with a joystick instead of a brake handle. The dog house is fully enclosed and the driller sits behind a glass to run it. I hope you're right and a big initial explosion killed them, not that they were trapped inside there trying to figure a way out.

Craig Miller":1gohfjy3 said:
crimsoncrazy":1gohfjy3 said:

I hope it was. That rig is identical to mine. A diffrent color paint on the side is the only difference. It's high tech for an onshore rig. Amphion computer control system. Ran with a joystick instead of a brake handle. The dog house is fully enclosed and the driller sits behind a glass to run it. I hope you're right and a big initial explosion killed them, not that they were trapped inside there trying to figure a way out.

No matter how safe you make it the petrochemical industry is a dangerous job, Flammable, explosive and poisonous. The problem anything built by man is subject to fail with out proper maintenance,inspection or operating procedures.
For 30 years when there was a bad fire or explosion in the refinery it was my teams job to find the cause.
The part that most don't like 99% of the time it traced back to human error.
I have seen some hellish traps left by prior shifts and management.
This is a good read for anyone in the industry. It is an eye opener.
It has the 2005 Texas City mess in it as well. I was made superintendent to go in and clean that mess up.

https://www.elsevier.com/books/what-wen ... 5617-531-9
This was fun as well.
http://www.csb.gov/mobile/u-s-chemical- ... jured-180/

Craig Miller":3vghynxh said:
crimsoncrazy":3vghynxh said:

Not a good predicament to be in or even think about. Not much choice to make and precious little time and neither option good.

Lots of ways to die in the oil patch.
https://www.roughneckcity.com/accidents
The one of the truck is pretty bad that isn't the first trucker that had a load of pipe or casing come thru his cab.

A tank battery blew up yesterday not far from here and they had to fly a guy out for severe burns.

I'm not that old and 2 guys I went to school with have been been killed in freak O&G related accidents.

... but at least every one can save a few pennies at the pump so the can buy their coffees and cigs. :x

That Oklahoma explosion sounds horrible. I couldn't imagine being on site when something like that happens, what a nightmare.
Greybeard I really enjoyed those pictures you posted. I've been real busy doing pipeline work lately. Here's a directional rig that just got done with a 58" diameter bore under a major river in Ohio. They started pulling pipe today, 2000' of 42" pipe. They got a couple hundred feet pulled but now it's stuck. They are bringing in a air hammer to try to get it moving again. I cant even imagine what that contraption will look like.
[image][/image]

Brute 23":27dhqtyz said:
A tank battery blew up yesterday not far from here and they had to fly a guy out for severe burns.

I'm not that old and 2 guys I went to school with have been been killed in freak O&G related accidents.

... but at least every one can save a few pennies at the pump so the can buy their coffees and cigs. :x
You think it would be safer if gas were $5 a gallon??

TexasBred":tqwv00nf said:
Brute 23":tqwv00nf said:

Yes.

It's very tough to see people getting killed in your industry while the public demonizes it. They complain about paying $4 for fuel but drop $800 on a phone, $70K on the vehicle, and $200 a month for a sports package to watch a guy who gets paid $29M a year to play baseball. That is all ok though.

It makes me sick to my stomach to be honest.

Brute 23":1v54iu3u said:
TexasBred":1v54iu3u said:
Brute 23":1v54iu3u said:

Yes.

It's very tough to see people getting killed in your industry while the public demonizes it. They complain about paying $4 for fuel but drop $800 on a phone, $70K on the vehicle, and $200 a month for a sports package to watch a guy who gets paid $29M a year to play baseball. That is all ok though.

It makes me sick to my stomach to be honest.
Everyone knows the more a product cost the safer it is. Exactly how the communist liberals think, gotta make sure there's a big renewable energy tax on gas also.