Ohlde Cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

Jason W":3lezas2k said:
Have any of you used them, how did you like them? the CEM numbers concern me.

We use them regularly. DHD Traveler 6807 is the grandsire to most of the cows in our herd with the exception of the last 4 sets of heifers. They are great cattle. Easy calving, phenotypically sound, great udders, easy fleshing, and when bred to the right bull raise great calves. What are you looking at exactly?

I've seen some OCC Anchor calves, cows and bulls, and I like everything about them. Moderate frame, deep bodied, easy keeping cattle. No experience with their other bulls.

Emblazon is by far the best 6807 son Tim has raised. Anchor is a sorry POS, but Emblazon and Echelon are good heifer makers and their bulls don't look to bad either. Emblazon is known for uniformness. Which is very evident if you see his calves.

The two young bulls we are using right now trace back to 6807 heavily. One is a Legend son....Legend's sire was Emblazon. The other trace's back to 6807 with Jauer genetics.

In the past our old herd sire was an Eureka son that did well for us.

We currently have no direct sons or daughters of Anchor but what I've seen of his progeny they are fleshy and easy keeping but might be a little short on milk.

I have heard that the negative scrotal value for 6807 is a concern for some. Just some more food for thought!

Jake

What is wrong with the Anchor cattle? Most that I've seen have 25% or more Gelbvieh in them, maybe that's covering up something?

Dap":1ysr7wcr said:
Jake

What is wrong with the Anchor cattle? Most that I've seen have 25% or more Gelbvieh in them, maybe that's covering up something?

as previously stated they are a little low on the milking end, though the have the typical 6807 beautiful udder. They are USUALLY the runt of the group. I believe his YW EPD is now down to around 45, and from the experience I've had with viewing his calves that is about right. They are small calves. He will moderate frame though.

I was looking at buying some bred heifers from a local guy, He A I's his heifers, and was thinking of asking him to breed some to a sire of my choice. thought maybe ohldee cattle, or maybe 6I6. just some thoughts

Jason

Depends on what you want from your cattle. Ohlde cattle are bred to moderate frame and limit milk production a little to keep the cow in flesh in a more grass oriented system. See how those heifers are bred and raised and chose a sire to accomplish your goals.

For heifers OCC Homer and OCC Echelon would be good choices on heifers as they have negaitve BW. And they will be easier on your wallet. Emblazon in real popular right now and his semen is expensive!

Jason W":1al7jufr said:
Have any of you used them, how did you like them? the CEM numbers concern me.

Jason, although I haven't used any of the Ohlde bulls, one 6807 son that I have used, and am quite impressed with, is Alberda Traveler 416. He probably won't moderate frame as much as the OCC bulls will but he sure throws volume and muscle. At least he did in my NDesign and EXT cattle. Just something for you to consider. Have a good day.

from what I've heard you might want to stay away from OCC Homer for replacements. The few sons I've seen have been just a touch goofy. I'd suggest Echelon or OCC Hunter. I have not personally seen any Hunter calves but that bull is thick! I would assume his calves would be also. I like the 6I6 bull to moderate frame while keeping some growth and adding some muscle. He's also easy calving. He would probably be my bull of choice. I've really liked the sons I've seen out of him. Just didn't like the $$$ they wanted for them.

Latest posts