Off Topic posts

Help Support CattleToday:

Dusty Britches

Reaction score
Ok, my turn at the soap box -

I've noticed posts around here quickly go off topic. Like one guy asked a question about making money by breeding heifers to a particular breed of bull and almost immediately it went off topic about what a poor chioce of bull it was. He didn't ask about bull choice.

Lately it seems a lot of posts go off topic and turn into useless bits of information (ubi).

Just my humble observations.

It's just like any other conversation with multiple participants.

dun

Well, here's another great example -
http://cattletoday.com/forum/viewtopic. ... sc&start=0

my question was about forecasting hay needs and over 1/2 the posts are about putting hay out with different equipment. It's frustrating to post a question and read a bunch replies before getting to one who answered. If you don't want to stay on topic, start a new post.

Of course I'm just the greenhand around here, so forgive my arrogance.

What is the best way to get to Tahiti on a limited budget?
Bret
I'm sorry....what were we talking about? :)

Dusty Britches":2t9uagie said:

my question was about forecasting hay needs and over 1/2 the posts are about putting hay out with different equipment. It's frustrating to post a question and read a bunch replies before getting to one who answered. If you don't want to stay on topic, start a new post.

You will probablly stay mad a lot more than happy with the boards.

give and take.

after people dilute your question with Tahiti and personal comments, make another post asking the same quesiton. it has worked quite well in the past. if you keep bringing to the top of the list, you will get the answers you are lloking for.

It also helps with replies if one keeps their questions brief, and/or "Lists" the items. When people ramble on, get tangential, etc., sometimes if a person doesn't read EVERY word, they only read what they want to and respond accordingly.

Ask specific questions, hope for specific answers, be brief and concise.

;-)

As a newbie myself, I think all newbies should do a search at the top of the board to see if it was posted 2 or 3 pages back or maybe even 20 pages back. There's a lot of info here and many hours of reading .... if you just take the time. Also many of the universities (that have a beef program) have lots of articles to read as well.

Perhaps some of the old timers get tired of responding to identical posts (they answered it in length and depth and its sometimes just two pages back) ... did you ever think of that??

Dusty...I can relate to your concerns. Some times just being a talkative old poot can lead to other lines of thought....now what were we talking about. Dave Mc

Bret":2l43jni9 said:
What is the best way to get to Tahiti on a limited budget?
Bret
I'm sorry....what were we talking about? :)
Bret I was at a gun show this weekend and a man was selling a kit for a pirogue. Total cost ~$150.00. Kind of small but some woman rowed across the ocean so it might be doable.
Also bought some polished .45 brass that could be made into necklaces and traded. We might could work a deal.

No, color markings of the eastern African bloat frog do not look anything close to the western ones.

This was a good year for frogs. We had plenty of the little green tree frogs and the bull frogs. Sadly though our bull frogs are only about a 1/5 of the size of the commercial ones so collecting enough of them for a meal is not really possible.

MoGal Wrote
As a newbie myself, I think all newbies should do a search at the top of the board to see if it was posted 2 or 3 pages back or maybe even 20 pages back. There's a lot of info here and many hours of reading .... if you just take the time. Also many of the universities (that have a beef program) have lots of articles to read as well.

Perhaps some of the old timers get tired of responding to identical posts (they answered it in length and depth and its sometimes just two pages back) ... did you ever think of that??

On other message boards I have seen questions posted about Ring worms over 5 times over the last year. And every time there has been some new replies with new ways to cure it. Searching is a good idea but I would still post the question, you never know when a new idea or one of the newbies has a new perspective on it. I am sure if the old timers are tired of answering it they will not answer.

Brandonm2":1az33ax3 said:
This was a good year for frogs. We had plenty of the little green tree frogs and the bull frogs. Sadly though our bull frogs are only about a 1/5 of the size of the commercial ones so collecting enough of them for a meal is not really possible.

While cleaning some frogs one night we found a "just hatched duck" in a frogs gut. Didn't eat the duck though.

Caustic Burno":2lgsbp54 said:
Dusty Britches":2lgsbp54 said:

You will probablly stay mad a lot more than happy with the boards.

No use in staying mad dusty...You can always try to bring the topic back to where you want (i.e. - so how many round bales would a Tahitian bloat frog eat per winter?), but in the end, it's not YOUR post(not trying to be mean). The post will go wherever the participants want. You could start a new post, or look in older topics, but holding up a "back to topic please" sign will only get you to tahiti in a pirogue.

I heard there are ducks in Tahiti wearing handcrafted necklaces made by the brown and white striped frogs that came from the bale of hay. Hmmm...

;-)

Dusty Britches":3jg5dml2 said:
Lately it seems a lot of posts go off topic and turn into useless bits of information (ubi).

So what you are saying is you want our opinions as long as we tell you want you want to hear. Is that it?

Now you are gonna tell me that we can answer the question with out getting off topic. I don't see as to where your thead got that far off topic. Use of rings, or finding another way to feed may just as well save you a few bales in waste a year. That sure will help your budget.

Take the info as you get it or maybe not ask for it anymore. Best advise and last advice I have for you.

Not to change the subject, but......

Cert, I hope your trip back was well. I got the pictures that you took and they look great!

Latest posts