Odd encounter

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
While mowing the yard this afternoon, a car load of young people stopped in my driveway. Never got out, but sat there close to 20 minutes. Wasn't sure what the situation was, but my gut said stay back. If they had popped the hood, or been changing a tire, I'd have rolled out the red carpet, and done whatever I could to help.

I was mowing a long length of road frontage, and made it take as long as possible, because the only way back in my house was the driveway which was blocked by their car. Finally decided I had things to do, and it was my house, so I headed in.

They started trying to talk to me long before I could hear what they were saying (kinda proof they've never ran equipment). I sat in the road indicating if they'd leave, I'd turn in. They just wiggled the vehicle back and forth til I could get in by them.

I stopped to see what they wanted. Probably should have just went on by. They started in on some rhetoric about blowing grass in the road, and the hazard that causes motorcycles (I have people stop and do that a couple times of year, not sure what that's all about, but I've probably had it happen 8-10 times).

In light of all the craziness in the world, and various videos I see posted, I made a conscious decision to make myself appear to be a hard target.

Honestly don't remember what all I said, but none of it was nice. Wife said I handeled wrong, considering I'm a preacher (this is not about I'm right, and she's wrong I promise). She said I should have thanked them for their opinion and moved on.

The point of this post is we live in crazy times. It never even occurred to me, to appear weak or passive to people that don't know the boundaries of society. If it happened again, I'd do it again. Never thought things would get like this.

I know this is a forum, and answers will be all over the board, but here's my opinion.......They stopped and had the kahonies to tell a 50 year old man what to do. They probably don't have the common sense the rest of us have. In my opinion they are dumb enough to do anything. The less I appear like a target, the better off I am. I'm putting aside the fact that I didn't respond like a "Christian". I'm to old to run. This quit being a teachable moment, and became I wonder what's fixing happen.

All of that to say, this world is a crazy place. If you live somewhere it hadn't hit yet, count your blessings. It's here in full force. It changes people on both ends of the spectrum. The idiots are getting crazier, and the "normal people" are getting more guarded. They may have had no super wrong intentions, and just thought I was entitled to their opinion. They may have had trouble on their mind. If they'd gotten out of that vehicle, I can assure you there would have been several people hurt, and I would have likely been one of them.

You can have an alternate opinion, but I wonder what the consensus is?

kenny thomas said:
Sounds like you were more calm than I would have been. I'm betting they had meanness on their mind

Has gotten like what you see on the news in your area? Someone, seems to be shot here daily.

lol....

I would have been right over & would have said, you have 10 seconds to get out of my driveway before your car gets a haircut.

Of course I would give them a few seconds to explain in the case they did have a lawful excuse, such as meter reader, govt worker, surveyor etc.

This is the problem now, when I was young, you could express such an opinion if you were willing to take a hit on the jaw. They have no discipline, respect nor manners it seems from your account.

I suppose you could have said, when you all pay me my 300 dollar fee in cash prior to speaking, I will then listen to your instruction on how you want the grass cut. Till then, take a hike.

You handled it well. I have people pull in the edge of my driveway often as up/down my road that is about the only place around here to get cell reception. I have an N+ router long distance Wi-Fi and I think they maybe connecting to the net some also as it will pickup there ( I need to password protect). I have a couple deer cameras in the yard and my son is going to put me in a camera system shortly as I have seen his and even in the dark it is clear. From working corrections most of my adult life it is best to meet people head on if your gut feeling tells you something is not right it probably is not. I would have looked at their tag # and ask them some questions instead of them asking everything. Also if this is happening often you need a camera system as they are not real expensive and also talk with local law enforcement as that is their job. If you get a good picture of their vehicle show it to the law enforcement.

The net is a dangerous place as I see people even here brag about all their money, investments, how much they have etc.
That is a good way to get robbed/killed. From experience working corrections there is a lot of very dangerous people and a lot have mental problems, drug additions, behavioral problems etc, just pure animals.

A guy like this with his buddies might show up at your door if not careful....

BB16Ixs6.img

jltrent said:
You handled it well. I have people pull in the edge of my driveway often as up/down my road that is about the only place around here to get cell reception. I have an N+ router long distance Wi-Fi and I think they maybe connecting to the net some also as it will pickup there ( I need to password protect).

You need to get a password on that Router this morning. It is not that hard. There are doezes of cases of people comiting internet crimes by leaching off unprotected routers.

sstterry said:
jltrent said:
You handled it well. I have people pull in the edge of my driveway often as up/down my road that is about the only place around here to get cell reception. I have an N+ router long distance Wi-Fi and I think they maybe connecting to the net some also as it will pickup there ( I need to password protect).

You need to get a password on that Router this morning. It is not that hard. There are doezes of cases of people comiting internet crimes by leaching off unprotected routers.
Thanks for the info as I am to old to go to the pokey. I did not know it would pickup that far until I tested it a few days ago. For my birthday my son wants to put me in a camera system and I think I will take him up on it. I will see every vehicle on my road and from the deer camera it averages about a 100 vehicles a day. The deer camera eats a lot of batteries when put on about full auto.

From what I gather from the details of the incident, you handled it ok. I wouldn't worry none about your response. We have crazy things happen fairly often up here in the east part of the state too, and the main thing that concerns me about most is if in a situation like that are they there looking things over to come back and steal and just spouting off some excuse.
The drug problem is so rampant here that often people can't put together a coherent statement and sometimes it feels like your in the middle of some zombie movie.

We have a lot of stopping, turning around, some trespassers...I am not going to start something outside of the house unless there is an obvious threat/weapon. But I am ready if it does start. What I have done with the more inert idiots is to race up (if in the truck) slide to a stop on the shoulder and be yelling before I stop. If they do not go I begin to take pictures with the phone and keep yelling. But I do not leave inside of the open drivers door for several reasons. I had a spot that attracted trespassers before I put a wall of stumps to block foot access. They would park on the shoulder. I printed a page that said they were trespassing, I wrote make, model and tag # on the sheet, told them I had pictures and everybody gets one warning. This is it for you. Next time the person to met them will be in uniform and armed. It only took one time for those folks and they played out. One set of trespassers got smart and came in another vehicle. I recognized them from a distance and had them charged as much as possible for trespassing. That worked or else they only had 2 cars!

I finally after all these years got a gun permit ,,and wherever I goes, it goes..not gonna play games with these idiots..they're parents didn't teach em how too act .so we have too bring them up too speed..

Video shows how dangerous a man with a knife is.....the knife attack starts at about the minute mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CedyLJeOfI

I'd have just told em to get lost.. lol

My grandpa had a pet peeve about mowing grass into the street as well. He would actually get a bit angry. And he was not an angry person. He jumped all over me one time for mowing his place into the street. He said how would u feel if u had to come along and clean up someone elses mess they mowed into the street? What I took from it, was he saw it as a sign of laziness. And a respect for others property. The road is public property. To be used by the public. Take from that what u will. I mean no offense. But now that u bring up the motorcycle issue, I can see that. He rode bikes all over Tripoli, Burma, Saudi Arabia while overseas on duty. Thing were very different over there.
One thing he told me that stuck with me, and this was years and years ago, I was just a kid then.
He told me in some of those areas, you could set something down anywhere, and come back weeks later and it would still be right where u left it. Thieves over there got their clean hand taken off and it was a great shame. Hence, not to many thieves. Lol
Now I'm rambling.
Anyway, thanks for the trip down memory lane...

Edited to add...
To this day I mow the outside pass inwards to my property. The old man, i had a lot of respect for.

jltrent said:
Video shows how dangerous a man with a knife is.....the knife attack starts at about the minute mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CedyLJeOfI

Good grief. Media will probably blame the cop for that mans death. He should have just let himself get stabbed :bs:

MurraysMutts said:

My grandpa had a pet peeve about mowing grass into the street as well. He would actually get a bit angry. And he was not an angry person. He jumped all over me one time for mowing his place into the street. He said how would u feel if u had to come along and clean up someone elses mess they mowed into the street? What I took from it, was he saw it as a sign of laziness. And a respect for others property. The road is public property. To be used by the public. Take from that what u will. I mean no offense. But now that u bring up the motorcycle issue, I can see that. He rode bikes all over Tripoli, Burma, Saudi Arabia while overseas on duty. Thing were very different over there.
One thing he told me that stuck with me, and this was years and years ago, I was just a kid then.
He told me in some of those areas, you could set something down anywhere, and come back weeks later and it would still be right where u left it. Thieves over there got their clean hand taken off and it was a great shame. Hence, not to many thieves. Lol
Now I'm rambling.

Edited to add...
To this day I mow the outside pass inwards to my property. The old man, i had a lot of respect for.

I agree. I now one pass in, then one out (lotta it hits the road), then a pass back on the highway to blow that grass back, then the return trip won't reach the road. This bozo saw me do that as well. So, I guess in theory, for some length of time, I do have grass on the road.

ALACOWMAN said:
I finally after all these years got a gun permit ,,and wherever I goes, it goes..not gonna play games with these idiots..they're parents didn't teach em how too act .so we have too bring them up too speed..

I catch a little flack for carrying. I don't care better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

Ky hills said:
From what I gather from the details of the incident, you handled it ok. I wouldn't worry none about your response. We have crazy things happen fairly often up here in the east part of the state too, and the main thing that concerns me about most is if in a situation like that are they there looking things over to come back and steal and just spouting off some excuse.
The drug problem is so rampant here that often people can't put together a coherent statement and sometimes it feels like your in the middle of some zombie movie.

I'm happy for people on here, that live in a safe and sane area. It's rough here though. I can't have fuel tanks, because they would get hit constantly. I have 5 fuel cans. There are days I make more than one trip for fuel. That hassle is less hassle, than the theft, or the possibility of having to shoot someone. You just don't even want to give these meth heads a reason to come.

MurraysMutts said:

Now I'm rambling.

Edited to add...

My daughter has a business on a busy state highway. It is in the country with a speed limit of 55 mph. I mow the grass all the way to the pavement. The road has a curve to the left approaching the business. Since the mower has the discharge on the right, I have to go in the direction of the traffic to discharge toward the property. The traffic includes tractor trailers, logging trucks, and cars with distracted drivers. I can tell you that it is stressful to blow the grass toward the property on that pass against the pavement with the traffic coming toward my back. I usually put the grass in the road, even if I fell guilty. The traffic blows it back pretty quickly. So far, no one has stopped to complain.

simme said:
MurraysMutts said:

Now I'm rambling.

Edited to add...

My daughter has a business on a busy state highway. It is in the country with a speed limit of 55 mph. I mow the grass all the way to the pavement. The road has a curve to the left approaching the business. Since the mower has the discharge on the right, I have to go in the direction of the traffic to discharge toward the property. The traffic includes tractor trailers, logging trucks, and cars with distracted drivers. I can tell you that it is stressful to blow the grass toward the property on that pass against the pavement with the traffic coming toward my back. I usually put the grass in the road, even if I fell guilty. The traffic blows it back pretty quickly. So far, no one has stopped to complain.
Face the traffic.

Bigfoot said:
Ky hills said:

I'm happy for people on here, that live in a safe and sane area. It's rough here though. I can't have fuel tanks, because they would get hit constantly. I have 5 fuel cans. There are days I make more than one trip for fuel. That hassle is less hassle, than the theft, or the possibility of having to shoot someone. You just don't even want to give these meth heads a reason to come.

I know what you mean, when I take cans to fill up that is the only stop I make in town unless my wife and I both go and one stays in the truck. The cans would get stolen whether full or empty. Our town has gone downhill terrible. I won't even stop at the service stations down town anymore. Got to where people would try to bum money from you every time. Now we drive 5 more miles out to the bypass to get fuel. Have also had people asking for money in the Walmart parking lot. We have seen several fights and threatenings in parking lots. There isn't a time anymore that we go to town without seeing at least a couple instances of people on dope so bad they don't know where they are at. It's a lot worse than it used to be but always been pretty bad as far as stealing. 40 years ago when my parents built their house out here, Dad said that somewhere there was a house that looked just like this one cause about all the material was stolen at least once.
We have some good watchdogs and all of them have a reputation of being protective. They let us know pretty quick when something is going on.