Oats creep mix ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Owning the oats takes a lot of the cost out of it. Talked with a friend a few weeks ago. He too had oats and corn as well. He was making a mix of about 50% oats (Not rolled) , 30% corn and 20% alfalfa pellets. Had to buy the alfalfa pellets at feed store. That should give you about a 12% protein, almost 4% fat and a TDN of about 72%.

I would think that if you put medicated pellets in then the medication levels would be so low they would offer no benefit. The one thing about pellets is that some companies put whatever they can find to balance a pellet. Which is fine if you don't mind grain dust and the like in pellets. One doesn't like that idea but in these days saving a few bucks is important. It is not like they can put something bad in the pellet, just something that we wouldn't think is appealing.

It took a little while but the calves are into whole oats now. Also have an small herf ranch cow that sneaks in part way and licks any spillage off the ground.

I usually leave calves bale grazing with the cows till January or February, but their growth slows down after Thanksgiving since it gets cold in Minnesota. Any tips on a whole oats and whole corn creep blend ratio for winter temps?

Actually it isn't necessary to roll the oats. The calves will get the same amount of nutrition out of them as if they were rolled. The stomach juices dissolve the kernel inside the hull and the hull will be passed.

Whole oats will maintain their nutritional value much longer than rolled oats.

If you doubt it, feed some whole oats and check the poop. You will find that the hulls are empty.

Guy I was working for had brangus cows and hereford bulls. Unbelievable brockle faced heifers. We combined the oats so idk what his cost was.

Latest posts