Nuts ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
Processed 64 steers last week. Had one 4 wt. where I could not feel any nuts, had another with a single large rock hard "nut" that really stretched the Calibrate band.
Need surgery or time for the first one?
What is with the rock?

OK - I am an idiot and not being smart

Processed 64 bull calves and made them steers?

Or you were working steers and found these issues?

Sometimes the nuts take a long time to drop so that might be the answer for your one problem - however I would bet you it is still a bull calf with nuts up inside - they possibly never dropped. If these were already steers, I would bet you that you have a bull running in the crowd.

Seen the single once before - I cut it out - it was two nuts that were grown together - perhaps from an injury(?) or perhaps genetic fault(?) - not truly sure.

Best to all

Bez

When we are buying calves we generally work a group every week, and you would be amazed at
what you may find when castrating. The worst is the calves messed up banding. These are the
hardest to fix as most of the time the testicle is deformed and feels like it is growing to the side
of the sack. I don't enjoy castrating but I wish folks would just leave the calves intact. Out of 100
head I may see 1 or 2 with one testicle, I see some with 1 big and 1 small, some with 1 that has
not distended as far, and several other oddities that I guess are caused by trauma. I guess the
worst thing is when my order buyer gets startled from his nap and buys calves that on the truck
suddenly become heifers!

Lane

We were working steers with problems. When you buy "steers" through the sales barn here - - you usually end up with some bulls and some botched castrations. The messiest one last week was a one nutter dripping pus...

Latest posts