Nutrition for old pregnant cow

Help Support CattleToday:

Lrj505

Reaction score
Have an older pregnant angus cow. Was in good condition til about a month ago she seems thin and visibly low body condition. I took her off the grass pasture and am hay feeding her now. She should be about 8 months pregnant. What should I feed her to improve condition? Alfalfa? Grain ? Thanks.

How old is she? What has she got in the way of teeth ? Providing she otherwise appears normal/healthy its likely age and advanced pregnancy is catching up with her and especially if she has to eek out a living on winter time pasture alone. I'd baby her with supplemental high quality hay and some grain (if she's inclined eat it). Last but not least, she'll no doubt need TLC post calving to help her raise a decent calf.

If she is indeed 8 months, you won't have time to do much, but I agree with 76, give her the best hay you have. You might also give her a shot of Multi-Min and/or some vitamins. She may have a little milk fever going on.

If you grain her, don't giver her much and keep the protein low. Late in the pregnancy it seems to all go to the calf which might make it ****** than she can handle.

Also, she may be carrying twins - which if she is, she could calve up to 2 weeks early.
Probably just age late in pregnancy. I would not worry about "growing the fetus". It will make the calf stronger and more viable to get up & suck if you increase the cows nutrition.