Number of stomachs?

Help Support CattleToday:

Farminlund

Reaction score
As long as I've been messing with cows, I've never really cared whether they had 1 stomach or 7 as long as they raised good growthy calves & bred back on schedule. So now someone who's not a cow person asks me how many stomachs does a cow have (obviously something I should know) - they said the internet has various answers (so that's not how I'm going to get the correct number for them). I'd call the vet but it's past business hours & it's a long distance phone call - I'd like to shoot back an email reply quickly so that it appears that I really know the answer. I've tubed many to alleviate bloat (calves) & the length of hose is pretty impressive but I know not whether I'm in one stomach or have passed thru many. Please help me with this somewhat "trivial pursuit" question. Thanks.

Take a peek at the thread titled "autopsy pictures" -- makes it easier to remember when you can actually see what's inside. ;-)

Thanks for the reply. The pictures were fantastic - I copied the one of the stomach & inserted it in my reply to the person posing the question. Yes a picture is worth a 1000 words.

yes a cow has really 1 stomach with 4 chambers in it.thats why they spend 18 to 20hrs a day chewing their cuds.

2 of the "chambers" of the stomach have nick-names........I don't remember what chamber goes with what name......
-Leaves of the Bible
-Honeycomb

K2011":thsmtjkl said:
2 of the "chambers" of the stomach have nick-names........I don't remember what chamber goes with what name......
-Leaves of the Bible
-Honeycomb

1st stomach/compartment = Rumen/Shagpile carpet
2nd stomach/compartment = Reticulum/Honeycomb
3rd stomach/compartment = Omasum/Bible
4th stomach/compartment = Abomasum/True stomach

So named because of the pattern of the internal walls ... quite cool really, I havent looked at the autopsy thread yet due to dial up, do the pictures show the inside of the stomach? If so, you'll understand the names (the first three anyway)

I have a pic of the inside of the rumen (not uploaded yet)... didn't get pics of the other three compartments. I'm making a list of what I want to see next time I have the opportunity to do an autopsy (hopefully not on one of my own calves :p) and I'll make a point of getting pics of the other three parts of the stomach.

The omasum is about the neatest organ a ruminent has. I alwasy cut it open just to look at it.

Found a photo of the inside structure.........these are out of goats but cattle are the same way....

digestivesystem.jpg

rumen, reticulum, omasum, and abomasum of goats

Keren":vao44x88 said:
dun":vao44x88 said:
The omasum is about the neatest organ a ruminent has. I alwasy cut it open just to look at it.

Really? I've always found it boring ... but I cut open the reticulum just to look at it (glad I'm not the only person who does this)

OOPS, left of the "ab". But I find them all interesting

Latest posts