NRC Seventh Edition

Help Support CattleToday:

jnowack

Reaction score
http://www.nap.edu/catalog/9791.html

Has anyone used the computer program that comes with this? I have an old DOS based version that is not very user friendly and has probably been improved on. I was wondering if the new model was windows based and if anyone has used it.

jnowack

jnowack":1tgyg7rl said:

Has anyone used the computer program that comes with this? I have an old DOS based version that is not very user friendly and has probably been improved on. I was wondering if the new model was windows based and if anyone has used it.

jnowack

I tried it, it is a complete joke, I can't believe our taxpayers dollars went to develop that crap. There is no instruction on how to use it and it ended up being a waste of time and it also never let me enter in my own values for tested mixtures, it just wanted default values, in that case just looking up some book values, a calculator, and a pencil and paper worked better. Then I tried Michigan States Spartan beef program and I could not even get an Extension Agent to figure it out, he basically said it was not practical at all. As you can tell by my ranting I have had it with nutrition programs and lazy programers.

Ray

llcupit":2e35rjhr said:
Try the Nutrient Requirements of Beef Cattle, Eighth Revised Edition 2000 by the National Research Council

The link I put up shows the seventh edition released in 2000. I can't seem to find anything on the eighth edition. Do you have a link? Have you run the program?

hayray":3e59ex9r said:
jnowack":3e59ex9r said:

jnowack

I tried it, it is a complete joke, I can't believe our taxpayers dollars went to develop that crap. There is no instruction on how to use it and it ended up being a waste of time and it also never let me enter in my own values for tested mixtures, it just wanted default values, in that case just looking up some book values, a calculator, and a pencil and paper worked better. Then I tried Michigan States Spartan beef program and I could not even get an Extension Agent to figure it out, he basically said it was not practical at all. As you can tell by my ranting I have had it with nutrition programs and lazy programers.

Ray

I know what you mean about it being hard to use. I used the program in a ruminant nutrition class and the professor taught us how to use it. There is no way I could have done anything with it had not been taught in the course. There are too many variables built it that I would not have even found. There is something in there about adding new feeds but I never tried it. I have used it to make changes to my rations at home and it was helpful in fixing problems with rations.