Nothing to do but gestate

Help Support CattleToday:

cowgirl8

Reaction score
Its a calm time of year. Cows lay around and eat. I have a few that are already starting to show, udders fluffing back up and sides getting wider. Looking forward to next years calving season.

A few bred heifers..

Even Sarah Palsy is bred. Had appointment to have her....whisper(made into burger), but since she is bred we'll see what happens.

inyati13":1m5nnta4 said:
What stikes me is this. It is much much greener here than it is there.
We got down in the 20s last week. Most of the brown was green a week ago. Now it hides the rye. What kind of grass is green on your place, rye or summer grass? People think Texas is semi desert hot and dry............where we live its heavily wooded and very wet. We also get very cold and on average are 10 degrees colder than the Dallas area for our lows.

Nesikep":6urgm9xr said:
Must be awfully brown where you are then Ron.. or white!
I think you misread. We still have lots of green shoots of fescue poking up. The orchard grass that is stockpiled is still green. In general, the landscape here has a green tone.

inyati13":35ie2udb said:
Nesikep":35ie2udb said:
Must be awfully brown where you are then Ron.. or white!
I think you misread. We still have lots of green shoots of fescue poking up. The orchard grass that is stockpiled is still green. In general, the landscape here has a green tone.
I remember one time we went to KY for horse races in middle of winter. I was surprised to see everything is still green other than trees...and tobacco.

Yup, I misread that about 5 times... funny how once your mind is set on something there's no changing it!

We're in for a cold snap around here, but it's been raining hard all day yesterday and last night.. Supposed to be -20C before the weekend, I'm hoping not, I have another load of cattle to ship on Sunday and it won't happen at those temps.

Looks like your cows are going into winter in real good condition.

Nesikep":1h4mki1g said:
Yup, I misread that about 5 times... funny how once your mind is set on something there's no changing it!

We're in for a cold snap around here, but it's been raining hard all day yesterday and last night.. Supposed to be -20C before the weekend, I'm hoping not, I have another load of cattle to ship on Sunday and it won't happen at those temps.

It has warmed up in the last 10 days. This picture shows the green. It has been in the 60s since this photo so it is even greener now!!!!
34j2aza.jpg

MOOOOved one of the herds. Lots of them waddling along, but a few kicked up their heels..

after a mile hike, all belly up to the hay ring...

I'm making my cows work for their food still.. they aren't happy about it, but there is enough out there and the snow is only a couple inches deep and powdery... I know that if I give them just one bale they will stop looking... a couple days ago when it was particularly miserable out with freezing rain and wind they were complaining to me as soon as they heard my bike fire up, but then gave up on that idea and went back to scrounging... haven't said a word since.

I know in areas people can stockpile grass, but it doesnt work well here. Soon as the killing frost is here, there may be some grazing but it disappears really quick. And around Jan, we get rye grass grazing if there is rain. We start feeding hay around Nov and then feed till Feb. We need rain, i'm getting a little nervous we're heading into another drought..Thank goodness we have a ton of hay..

The cows seem so content this year.

Must you take a picture at this angle, says Joker

My fav last years first calving heifer, now a cow...