Nothing like it.

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno

Reaction score
Nothing like a 4 am gout attack paying a visit. Talk about a wake up call.
If the wind blows across that toe will make you sit up and pay attention.

Old age aint for sissies.

Oh no. While I have been fortunate enough to never have had to deal with Gout, I have seen a few folks during a full-blown bout of it! It sure looks miserable.

I hope you have been able to get that toe under control.

Katherine

Workinonit Farm":37bbzccz said:
Oh no. While I have been fortunate enough to never have had to deal with Gout, I have seen a few folks during a full-blown bout of it! It sure looks miserable.

I hope you have been able to get that toe under control.

Katherine

As Dun said that is one heII of an alarm clock the sheet felt
like a rhinoceros was standing on that big toe.
And he dam sure wouldn't move.
I am one of the lucky ones on gout only get in once a year maybe twice
they are doosies when it comes calling.
I can't imagine some pour soul that suffers with this on a regular basis.
It is just another one of the rithritis brothers calling out his name during roll call.
Ate up with Osteo guess he needed to call his brother Gout for a visit.

I had my first case of it a few months ago and hobbled around in a pair of rubber boots a size too big for a day because that's all I could get on. Nothing like getting older. I hope you get over this one quickly.

MY FIL turned 96 last week and he's been fighting it for almost a year. His doctor (should be referred to as quack) said it's just arthritis from getting old and being over weight. He ended up going to emergency when he was out of town visiting and they knew what it was and treated him for it. Amazingly the pain is now to the point that he can actually walk around again. I know it's called "practicing medicine" but come on!

TennesseeTuxedo":29juh714 said:
slick4591":29juh714 said:
Allopurinol is a preventative medication. Take mine nightly.

I take mine in the AM each and every day.

Me three. Worth its weight in gold. Haven't had an attack in over 5 years but when you get it in both big toes at the same time you are helpless.

Some vegetables such as asparagus are rumored to increase the chances of a gout flair up. I limit my intake of that and also take apolitical as a preventative.

Jalopy":3hmfn9e4 said:
Some vegetables such as asparagus are rumored to increase the chances of a gout flair up. I limit my intake of that and also take apolitical as a preventative.

I love asparagus eat it like candy guess I am doomed to suffer if it causes it.

My mother gets it on occasion. Rich diets are a major cause... From what I remember of my history, Ben Franklin had it real bad.

I live in the shop, my alarm clock that scares the bejesus out of me is the air compressor coming on at 3 AM... I'm a stickler for tight air fittings, but once in a while there's a creep leak somewhere.

List of foods to avoid that causes gout attacks

Avoid foods that are high in purines, as they account for approximately 50 percent of the uric acid produced in the body. Some of the foods which are high in purines and bad for gout:
Red meats such as pork, poultry, beef and lamb
Some fish, e.g. herring, anchovies, sardines and mackerel
Seafood like oysters, caviar, calamari, scallops, sushi and crabs
Organ meats include liver, sweetbreads, brains, kidney, tongue, tripe, fish roe, meat gravies and meat extracts
Even some vegetables like lentils, spinach, beans, cauliflower and peas and high-fat dairy products are known to contain some amounts of purines.
Try to replace red meats, seafood and organ meats with small portions of boiled, steamed, grilled or roasted white meat.
It is essential to avoid frying your meals, as greasy foods are not well tolerated by people who suffer from gout.
Gout sufferers should also limit their intake of simple carbohydrates (sweets), as they also facilitate the progression of the disease.
Also, the consumption of alcohol should be reduced, as it increases the amount of uric acid produced by the organism. Smoking can aggravate the symptoms of gout too, slowing the natural process of healing and interfering in the right circulation of the blood.

Caustic Burno":3euc41qg said:
Nothing like a 4 am gout attack paying a visit. Talk about a wake up call.
If the wind blows across that toe will make you sit up and pay attention.

Old age aint for sissies.
That is what my husband says, but dietary restrictions aren't an option with him. Pretty sure I suffer more when he has a bout of it...HOWEVER, we bought Spam for the first time in 30 years of marriage yesterday (FOR THE RECORD I've never eaten Spam OR Vienna Sausages), I said "I hear that is good for the gout". Whatever.

Latest posts