Not flanking enough fast enough

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
We are showing a Steer in the ft. Worth show .. useing showbloom...oxygen...and beet pulp ... he is really big framed....weights 1295 already and show isn't until Feb. Every jackpot same results ...Judge says would like to see him bigger in the top end and fill in more behind the shoulders .... WHAT TO DO????

We feel like we are running out of time ... and he is already really big...

Any suggestions????

Thanks
Sonya

Sonya,
It is one of those things that is hard to change. I am sure you have already heard the feeding and fitting techniques . Learn the lesson that genetics works. You can see on very small calves the differences from one calf to another. Take those differences you see next year and project them out to where you are at now and decide if the calf is an acceptable project. If not look for another one.
Good luck
Ollie

ollie":gi2gl6by said:
Sonya,
It is one of those things that is hard to change. I am sure you have already heard the feeding and fitting techniques . Learn the lesson that genetics works. You can see on very small calves the differences from one calf to another. Take those differences you see next year and project them out to where you are at now and decide if the calf is an acceptable project. If not look for another one.
Good luck
Ollie

Thank you so much for your return message .... tell me your take on feeding and fitting techniques.... always nice to get lots of help and opinions ... please ...if you don't mind. This is our first year to do this.

Thanks
Sonya

Sonya McPherson":14cnzr4b said:
We are showing a Steer in the ft. Worth show .. useing showbloom...oxygen...and beet pulp ... he is really big framed....weights 1295 already and show isn't until Feb. Every jackpot same results ...Judge says would like to see him bigger in the top end and fill in more behind the shoulders .... WHAT TO DO????

Any suggestions????

Thanks
Sonya

What breed is he? Are all his ribs covered. If thats his problem then you have time to finish him, withoyut getting him too big. I wouldn't worry too much about his weight right now because thats easy to take off but you need him to have plenty of cover. Also, Ft. Worth is a hair show so get a really good fitter and they can do wonders with the hiar and hide an awful lot of flaws.

txshowmom":emg08fzb said:
If thats his problem then you have time to finish him, withoyut getting him too big.

why don't you tell her how to finish him without getting him too big!

You can finish a steer with a commercial steer finisher.

However, I finish one out by adding bull conditioner and flaked corn to their feed.

txag":1lu6opti said:
txshowmom":1lu6opti said:
If thats his problem then you have time to finish him, withoyut getting him too big.

why don't you tell her how to finish him without getting him too big!

I will but first I would like to know what breed it is. If it is an american then they tend to take a little longer to finish out and will get bigger before they do finish. If it is an exotic and then it should be almost completely covered by that wieght. Different brreds require different techniques thats why I asked her what breed it was.

Sonya, Ollie gave the best advice. You can't change physical structure by ration or additive. You can help to hide and disguise through your feed program, and with great hair. Personally, I don't ever recommend getting a great fitter. I believe that the only way to get the most out of showing calves is to do it all yourself. Your can be as good as any fitter in the country, but only if you practice every day. It's just like basketball or any other sport, except it doesn't require as much physical ability. So, be careful on selecting your next project, and then study how the best ones do what they do. Work hard, but have fun. Good luck.

Sonya,

I like to go to shows and watch while the fitting is being done. Don't get in the way, just stand around and watch. Walk around and see how different fitters do different things. The last show I was at, I learned ALOT. Sometimes all you need to do is keep your mouth shut and just be a bystander.
Good Luck on your next project.

txshowmom":8va29kw0 said:
Sonya McPherson":8va29kw0 said:

Any suggestions????

Thanks
Sonya

What breed is he? Are all his ribs covered. If thats his problem then you have time to finish him, withoyut getting him too big. I wouldn't worry too much about his weight right now because thats easy to take off but you need him to have plenty of cover. Also, Ft. Worth is a hair show so get a really good fitter and they can do wonders with the hiar and hide an awful lot of flaws.

Yes he is an AMERICAN .. 3/4 Santa Gertrudis and the rest Maine .... he is black ... some hair ... we are working on that .... going to go get some cotton seed at the cotton gin and add to his feed .... wetting the beet pulp has helped him not have as much feed in his stool .... havent' added extra corn yet ... going to get some corn oil at the store today... he puts on weight really fast ... he is covering on ribs but not enough ... is on finisher has been for about 4 weeks now is better but not enough yet ... maybe just getting ahead of ourselfs.... your opinion and suggestions are wanted and needed.
Thank all of you for taking time to reply.
Thanks
Sonya

I figured he was an American. First of all, you should have started him on finisher back in Sept, oh well. You need to increase his corn ASAP. What % corn is he on. How much feed is he eating. He need fat! You can take the weight off but its hartd to put the fat on without feeding him. You might want to try barley if the corn is not working, American sometimes perfer barley to corn. Also, adding the corn oil will help. We add 1 cup per feeding and mix it in the feed. We start our American steers on a higher corn content from the first day we get them because the higher % corn helps keep them from getting too big, kinda stunts them if you will. ANyway hope this helps.

txshowmom":npyj0jdf said:
I figured he was an American. First of all, you should have started him on finisher back in Sept, oh well. You need to increase his corn ASAP. What % corn is he on. How much feed is he eating. He need fat! You can take the weight off but its hartd to put the fat on without feeding him. You might want to try barley if the corn is not working, American sometimes perfer barley to corn. Also, adding the corn oil will help. We add 1 cup per feeding and mix it in the feed. We start our American steers on a higher corn content from the first day we get them because the higher % corn helps keep them from getting too big, kinda stunts them if you will. ANyway hope this helps.

Thank you... we started oil last night ... this morning he has blood in his stool and not eating real well.... took him to vet today ... had temp 103 but didn't have any signs of intestinal virus or parasite ... gave him antibiotics,bouisus, and propic or something like that ... said reduce grain till sat. if better then start back on regular feed .... But ... the thing I wanted was ... our Ag teacher had a FIT ... he wanted to know why we put him on corn oil.... said not to add anymore corn to his feed already getting corn in finisher and beetpulp and finisher should catch up with him soon ... i myself don't think so .... everything you said sounded so right ... he said we would put too much fat on him and he would be a butter ball but all the winners at the shows ...Look like butter balls ... I am kinda hacked at him for scholding ..... this is not his money and not his daughter who is getting disappointed .... ft worth only 6wks away .... any takes on all this .... Thank YOu
Sonya

Don't know about all ag teachers, but, the ones that I have dealt with, have learned everything about cattle out of a book. In my dealings with ag teachers, I raise the animal the way that I see fit, but it's really funny because when it wins then they try to take all the credit for it, believe me the last one I set straight real fast.

They tell you to hold the steers back by feeding them alot of beet pulp, then when you need to make that final push, they won't eat much feed. What they don't realize is that those steers that go into these shows that weigh in at 1250 to 1350, really weigh 50 to 100 or more pounds. They are just not given any feed or water for a day or so before they are weighed. Then at the show they fill them back up with water and feed. ie. weigh in on Saturday, but they don't show until Tuesday night or Wednesday.