Not even bred

Help Support CattleToday:

Pamkisaac

Reaction score
The other day I looked out and saw one of our heifers laying on the ground and pushing. I had been busy with contractors for the last few days and really hadn't been paying any attention to our small herd so I don't know when it started. Every few minutes she would push again. She got up after a while and pushed a few times while standing and laid back down and resumed. After a while there had been no progress so I penned her so my neighbor could check her which essentially stopped everything. He came over and she's not even bred. On the bright side, he found that she had a cyst on one of her ovaries and took care of it. Just can't imagine what made her act like she was in labor when she clearly wasn't. There was some discharge but not as much as you would normally see when calving. After he checked her, it stopped and she has been completely normal. Just curious.

Pain. Maybe the cyst was painful? We had a heifer that, after she was bred, she proceeded to lay on her side and push really hard, many many times, like she was in labor. I almost took her to the vet, thinking she was injured.
We also had a cow a few weeks ago act like she was in labor, but she is not due until January. I watched her for an hour, pushing. I saw fluids coming out (likely urine). After over an hour with no progress, and not so sure she was aborting (I saw the calf kick several times so I know it was not dead), I called the vet thinking she might of had a uterine torsion or something more serious. Vet came out after his dinner, and said she was bred and the calf was alive (like I suspected), and her cervix was closed. We gave her some banamine and she settled after that. We both can only speculate, but we thought maybe the calf was on a nerve because she was lame on one back leg. She is fine now, but it sure was scary!

So glad to know that another has done the same thing and is ok! Happy Thanksgiving!

Latest posts