northen origin

Help Support CattleToday:

triple'S'

Reaction score
When watching sales on Superior or other auction, I hear the auctioneer say "this is a great group of northern origin hiefers/cows/steers" Why is northern origin such a big deal? Is that just to add a little reassurance that there is no brahman blood in them. I have always thought that if I were to buy a large load of hiefers or cows, I would want them to come from a ranch with a climate similar to mine, no matter what breed (Angus, Hereford, Limo, Miniature Jersey, etc.)
I wouldn't think that a feedlot in west Texas would be real fired up about getting northern origin calves, and expect them to grow when they just went through a 30-40 degree temp increse on a truck ride south. Or a rancher in southern Louisiana getting a load of thick haired angus calves and putting them in the pasture with god knows what kind of parasites and humidity that drenches you when you walk out the door. (its awful, I was down in Alabama a couple of weeks ago)

Anyways, this has nothing to do with southern cattle being better than nothern cattle so I hope you didn't take it wrong? Just curious why I or someone south of me would pay more for nothern origin cattle?

Thanks

id figure the reason they say northern origin would be just that. so folks would know the climate they are use too.if the buyers need assurance theres no brahman in it and cant tell for them selves. their in the wrong business anyway

My understanding is that they are cattle raised in states like Montana, the Dakotas, Wyoming, etc. They are cattle that have no exotic, Brahman, influence. Mainly British breeds with use of Continentals like Charolais and Simmental. It comes down to that they are called "Northern", due to the region they come from. Also their is an perceived idea that cattle raised in the northern region are of high quality. You look at some of the major producers like Sitz, Stevenson-Basin, Coopers, Holdens, DeBruckyer, Leachman's, etc, are all in Montana and there are other big producers in the Dakotas and Wyoming in that their herds have alot of influence on cattle across the nation.

It's pretty much where the cattle originated from and a way for Superior and other video auctions to give the buyers an idea of what the cattle are and how well they may do in the feedlots in the south. Whose to say they're any better, but that is how they can advertise and market them.

and if you buy a set of Wyoming or Idaho heifers and take them to an area of higher quality forage and nice climate your going to end up with some real easy fleshing, good doing cows that express some added growth because of the environment change about 99 times out of 100.

ENNOT":2m4bspc8 said:
They are cattle that have no exotic, Brahman, influence. Mainly British breeds with use of Continentals like Charolais and Simmental.

I agree with your post, but "exotic" breeds are the Continentals, and do not include Brahman.

From what I gather on these boards, it seems to me there is a much higher percentage of Black Angus influenced cattle inthe North. There aren't nearly as many Herefords as there was 20 years ago. Still plenty of Hereford bulls running with the BA cows. I think mostly to get Black Baldie replacement cows. And there are a good many white bulls with the black cows.

I think stock cows are bigger up here, at least in MN, ND, and MT. I would say most herds average 1300 lbs for mature cows.
And calves are known to grow well. Like 7 mo old calves will be in at least 6 weight and will finish in 12 to 14 months.
My thoughts.

mnmt

mnmtranching":28fhj8s4 said:
From what I gather on these boards, it seems to me there is a much higher percentage of Black Angus influenced cattle inthe North. There aren't nearly as many Herefords as there was 20 years ago. Still plenty of Hereford bulls running with the BA cows. I think mostly to get Black Baldie replacement cows. And there are a good many white bulls with the black cows.

I think stock cows are bigger up here, at least in MN, ND, and MT. I would say most herds average 1300 lbs for mature cows.
And calves are known to grow well. Like 7 mo old calves will be in at least 6 weight and will finish in 12 to 14 months.
My thoughts.

mnmt

We average almost 1300lbs. for first calf heifers :shock:

We are trying to downsize our future cows a little with our angus herdsire this year.

Latest posts