Normal?

Help Support CattleToday:

colleen

Reaction score
We have a cow that was brought here to be bred by our bull. She is a show heifer and she has a 5 to 6 month old baby that was born while showing. They were shown as a pair thereafter. Anyway, I have been watching the calf. It just lays down all day. When standing it holds it head down. (Like a sick depressed calf to me). Does not graze (ever), does not eat feed. It nurses am and pm. It's body looks healthy! No snot ,no fever, no runs. It's poop is firm and "yellow". But it dosnt graze. Owner said she will nibble a little on hay. Is this normal for a show calf to not graze. And to still have yellow poop. (Maybe cuz it's only on milk?). He said she is very lazy. Only nurses. Dosnt run around or show interest in surroundings. Is it normal for a show calf that has been in show environment since birth, to behave this way. I don't have a clue and I keep calling the people who brought it over because I don't think it is! But maybe some do this when in this environment all the time. I want to quit worrying!!
Colleen

Not in our herd! Our show calves eat as much as you let them, and never have yellow stools past the first few weeks. That calf is getting feed somewhere, or that cow has some powerful milk!!! How heavy would you say the calf is? Are you sure it is that old? Sounds kind of funny to me. Is the cow cycling?

The calf is almost 6 months. It is only nursing. It is in good shape. Said it nibbles hay when at its owners. Hasn't at our house. Here it's on pasture and we have offered it feed but is not interested. That's all it gets here. I've kept a close eye on it today and it has not grazed or nibbled on grass. I don't think it is normal at all. My husband watched it nurse and then pooped yellow solid not loose stools. We have only talked to the people who brought the pair here, not the owner. But it dosnt seem right. It should be grazing, right. I'm thinking its a little slow. LOL. The bull is hanging with it tonight so it is staring to come in heat. This is her first calf that I am talking about. Beautiful and healthy looking.

I'm waiting for it to get up again and see if it grazes this evening. Just slowly walks from one spot to the next and lays down. Will follow the mom out to the back at night and if its grazing at night I can't see it without walking out there in the dark. Not going to happen. lol. I just can't believe a 5 month old calf dosnt graze. Ours are trying at 2 weeks it seems. Right?

I've been thinking back. It got here on Saturday. We were out of town for a few days so didn't really see the calf when it got here. I did notice the calf out in the pasture and that it resembled one of our calves. I'm pretty sure it was grazing then . Thinking back. Almost positive. Definitely hasn't the last 2 days. I haven't paid much attention before that. We are weaning a few of ours and that's all Ive really been paying attention too. The couple that brought it over said they will come give it a shot of LA300 but will that cover pneumonia if that is what is going on?

Talked to the owner and he said that this little calf is in a very small pasture at his place. A little grass, a round bale of hay. He said the calf does not eat grain at all. Dosnt really hang out with the mother much except to nurse. Said it lays around a lot and it does a little grazing. Not used to being in a big pasture like ours. My husband and I laughed and said well maybe that's why it walks 10 yards and lays down. Not used to walking around!! The man is coming tomorrow to look at her. It is a beautiful calf and it is husky. So it has been getting fed good just not eating much lately and we don't have hay. But you think it would be out grazing! That's just instinct, right?

colleen":1gty59z6 said:
Talked to the owner and he said that this little calf is in a very small pasture at his place. A little grass, a round bale of hay. He said the calf does not eat grain at all. Dosnt really hang out with the mother much except to nurse. Said it lays around a lot and it does a little grazing. Not used to being in a big pasture like ours. My husband and I laughed and said well maybe that's why it walks 10 yards and lays down. Not used to walking around!! The man is coming tomorrow to look at her. It is a beautiful calf and it is husky. So it has been getting fed good just not eating much lately and we don't have hay. But you think it would be out grazing! That's just instinct, right?

Unless it does not feel good, which is what this sounds like. I would temp the calf when the owner gets there, just to make sure. Good thing you are being cautious, if that calf gets sick in your care that would not be good. Why are they breeding the cow so late? She should have been bred a few months ago.

Ok! I don't know why they are waiting so long. We don't really know the people that are showing the calf. We are doing this for a friend who helps them show the heifer. The calf, I think is about 5 1/2 months and my husband guesses it weighs between 375 to 400 lbs. we will take temp tomorrow when they can put halter on it. Hopefully figure something out. May just be a lazy calf not used to being in a big pasture full of grass?

I would say something is wrong with the calf. a normal calf (show or not) will eat grass or feed when put in front of it.

I'm starting to think its a little slow. It's an instinct for them to eat grass. It took a little nibble of grass a few minutes ago and that was it. and I gave it this really good cotton meal feed that our calves love. It did take a little nibble off the top and then left it alone! Our calves will knock you down to get to it. I don't know if he has grass in his little tiny lot but I'm going to assume he dosnt. Even if its never seen grass, I would think a 5 month old calf would eat grass, out in a pasture with others. I'm going to ask him a few questions when he gets here.

I wish we could copy and paste pics on here. I would show you a pic of the calf. Real healthy looking. May have lost a little weight in the 10 days it has been here because there is no hay.

that pic was in June this one is 10 minutes ago. Husband said he dosnt think it knows what grass is. Had its head in the mineral tub for awhile tho!!!!

Oh, you should have told me she was Fleck, that explains everything! ;-) :lol2:

But, really, I would temp her to make sure. She is big, and has to be eating something to get that big (like grass). But she looks healthy there. Maybe a little sunken in, but not bad.

What is fleck?? She does look healthy. Her eyes look funny to me. Kind of sunken in. Guy said does not eat grass, I honestly think they don't have any. It only eats hay and milk. At his house. At our house, milk only. And all the grass it wants. Maybe a night grazer. Lol. It is coughing a little bit. Nose was dry and hot but it would not let me take its temp and I'm not going to chute it because its his darn calf and if he can probably do it without any problem!

Well thanks for your advice. I'll let you know(if the guy shows up) what we figure out. And what is a FLECK?!

Colleen

colleen":28fxn2gh said:
What is fleck?? She does look healthy. Her eyes look funny to me. Kind of sunken in. Guy said does not eat grass, I honestly think they don't have any. It only eats hay and milk. At his house. At our house, milk only. And all the grass it wants. Maybe a night grazer. Lol. It is coughing a little bit. Nose was dry and hot but it would not let me take its temp and I'm not going to chute it because its his darn calf and if he can probably do it without any problem!

Well thanks for your advice. I'll let you know(if the guy shows up) what we figure out. And what is a FLECK?!

Colleen

Fleckvieh, the older style Simmentals. Google it, you will see. We raise Simmentals, but not the older type (like her and her dam). I love a good Fleck, and they are popular, especially down in the southern states. They have a lot of leather up front, usually dark red with white face. They are also large framed. I hope they guy comes out and checks her. Better to be safe than sorry! Keep us posted and what happens. :)

They are both simbrahs.

This is a pic of our bull. All I can get is the tail end. Pic taken in dec. I need to learn how to make pics smaller. That is that calfs sire. And the heifer is here again to be bred. We probably won't be doing it again. Too much hassle and we don't get anything in return but problems! Thanks for your help! Guy was supposed to be here at 2 and its 412.

Latest posts