Nonionic surfactant

Help Support CattleToday:

millstreaminn

Reaction score
Got a touch of nutsedge in a corn field. Chem guy said use Permit, liquid nitrogen and a nonionic surfactant. Can I substitute anything for the surfactant because I don't have any? Thanks-

When you factor in the low percentage in most household products and the cost of actual surfactants, you're probably ahead just buying a gallon for $15 or so.

Ahhhhh the annual surfactant debate. I say buy surfactant. Especially if what your killin is hard to kill.

M.Magis":30u0jusi said:
When you factor in the low percentage in most household products and the cost of actual surfactants, you're probably ahead just buying a gallon for $15 or so.

I've never had anything I spray call for a surfactant. I just wanted to see if I could substitute with something because it will be a week before I can get a jug here. I thought basically a surfactant would break the wax down on the leaves, make the chemical stick a bit better and make the water "wetter". Wouldn't Dawn dish washing soap do that?

I assumed you had a TSC or something close by where you could get it.
I know a lot of people use dish soap and fabric softener. I don't know if it's a good idea or not, but people do it.

I'd use a surfactant but if I had none Dawn would be my choice or a good quality Dishwasher detergent - some of these are pretty strong.

millstreaminn":g4ldmum1 said:
M.Magis":g4ldmum1 said:

I've never had anything I spray call for a surfactant. I just wanted to see if I could substitute with something because it will be a week before I can get a jug here. I thought basically a surfactant would break the wax down on the leaves, make the chemical stick a bit better and make the water "wetter". Wouldn't Dawn dish washing soap do that?
Surfactant decreases the angle of a droplet of water to make it have a larger base and less height. Thus the larger base gives you more contact to leaf surfaces. It has nothing to do with waxy leaves. If you need to penetrate waxy leaves look into something that has power to erode, corrode or dissolve wax like ammonium sulfate. It will do the same "magic" on your galvanization, auto paint and bare metal. Try something like that, spray some smilax and when "they" tell you that the spray won't kill them, just grin and nod.

I'll add one thing, if your trying to kill something woody use cide kick II surfactant. It will not disappoint you.

Latest posts