Nolvasan

Help Support CattleToday:

slave2cows

Reaction score
Would a cup of nolvasan contaminate 4500 lbs. milk beyond shippable levels do not know anything about the product Just curious from a passing conversation with a nother dairy farmer and vet

Never used it by the cup full. All I ever used was the cap tabs or the syringe type liquid for infusion. I'd call my coop field man and let him check the milk. I'd hate to load it on a tanker and then have to buy the whole load.

How the he77 did it get in the milk anyway??

I dont no if any got into there tank or not but they were discussing the difference between a infused quarter being milked and i geuss the sanitizing solution being used to clean a dirty jar between cows and it a getting let down into the milk line. But the farmer said he had a helper milk and infused quarter in to the tank with about 4,500 lbs of milk and it didnt test hot was curious because all i know about it is that its a sanitizer. Vet comes next tues. again for herdcheck get the whole story then, was just getting some meds and kinda easdropping , bad habbit when the convo involves cows.

slave2cows":1omv4xdb said:
I dont no if any got into there tank or not but they were discussing the difference between a infused quarter being milked and i geuss the sanitizing solution being used to clean a dirty jar between cows and it a getting let down into the milk line. But the farmer said he had a helper milk and infused quarter in to the tank with about 4,500 lbs of milk and it didnt test hot was curious because all i know about it is that its a sanitizer. Vet comes next tues. again for herdcheck get the whole story then, was just getting some meds and kinda easdropping , bad habbit when the convo involves cows.
Why in the world would they infuse a quarter with nolvasan? I only used it for uterine infusion.

apparently to kill a bad quarter i geuss they were unable to cure with spectramast or today had a culture taken and what ever was recomended didnt work either im not 100% sure dont have the full story will have to wait till tues. for herdcheck to talk to doc. But im at a loss thats why i was asking yall to enlighten me not familiar with product or uses what i have seen in animal medic its just a santizing solution.

Yes- it can be used to kill quarters. Also iodine and formalin have been used to kill a chronic mastitic quarter. It does induce a strong inflammatory response and pain, so I've infused with lidocaine and then used banamine and dex systemically.

Not sure how much has to be used to contaminate a load of milk. It wouldn't test "hot" regardless as it's not an antibiotic. The usually snap tests for antibiotic testing pick up penicillin, tetracyclines, and commonly used antibiotics. Nolvasan aka chlorhexidine is a disinfectant.

Thank you mm for sheding some light on this for me . And when you use iodine what % are you using not familiar with formalin

slave2cows":352nrc1y said:
apparently to kill a bad quarter i geuss they were unable to cure with spectramast or today had a culture taken and what ever was recomended didnt work either im not 100% sure dont have the full story will have to wait till tues. for herdcheck to talk to doc. But im at a loss thats why i was asking yall to enlighten me not familiar with product or uses what i have seen in animal medic its just a santizing solution.

Silly....if you want to kill a quarter infuse with 50 CC's of 7% iodine and then place a castration band on the teet....the teet will eventually fall off, and the quarter will be slick as a baby's butt and dead.

Latest posts