No good deed goes unpunished

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
Had a truck driver ask if he could park his trailer in my front pasture for a few days and I agreed. A few days turned into a few weeks and I was needing to move some cattle onto the pasture and bumped him up about moving his trailer.

A few days went by and nothing happened but sometime today he came out without calling and picked up the trailer and left the gates leading to the highway open and cows got out on the highway and a woman hit one of my cows with her car. The lady is alright but her child wasn't buckled and was thrown from the vehicle and was life flighted to the University of Florida and is said to be in critical condition and his prognosis doesn't look good.

I called the truck driver and told him all that had happened and asked him WHY ON EARTH DID HE HAD NOT SHUT THE GATE when he knew full well there were cattle in the pastures. I explained to him that I told the state patrol that it was HE that had left the gate open and not me and told him the state patrol wanted to talk with him since he was ultimately at fault since the accident was totally due to his careless negligence.

As you can imagine I was not a happy camper with all this but thankfully the wreck never happened and I rode my lie for a full five minutes or so painting a pretty gory picture before letting him in on the truth of the matter - that the wreck never happened - but it could have. Wonder if anyone learned a lesson - besides me that is.

I've always said, add a person add a problem. I don't know why I keep straying from this rule. Maybe this time I'll learn because it could have been bad.

Jogeephus":673ewx63 said:
Had a truck driver ask if he could park his trailer in my front pasture for a few days and I agreed. A few days turned into a few weeks and I was needing to move some cattle onto the pasture and bumped him up about moving his trailer.

A few days went by and nothing happened but sometime today he came out without calling and picked up the trailer and left the gates leading to the highway open and cows got out on the highway and a woman hit one of my cows with her car. The lady is alright but her child wasn't buckled and was thrown from the vehicle and was life flighted to the University of Florida and is said to be in critical condition and his prognosis doesn't look good.

I called the truck driver and told him all that had happened and asked him WHY ON EARTH DID HE HAD NOT SHUT THE GATE when he knew full well there were cattle in the pastures. I explained to him that I told the state patrol that it was HE that had left the gate open and not me and told him the state patrol wanted to talk with him since he was ultimately at fault since the accident was totally due to his careless negligence.

As you can imagine I was not a happy camper with all this but thankfully the wreck never happened and I rode my lie for a full five minutes or so painting a pretty gory picture before letting him in on the truth of the matter - that the wreck never happened - but it could have. Wonder if anyone learned a lesson - besides me that is.

I've always said, add a person add a problem. I don't know why I keep straying from this rule. Maybe this time I'll learn because it could have been bad.

Heard a horrific story told by Adam Owen of Owen Brothers Cattle Company in Missouri. They had a bunch of weaned calves get out on I-44 between Springfield and Mt. Vernon. Two were hit and killed. One was hit that was later euthanized. And two were shot by the police and a firefighter. They ultimately closed the interstate.

Jogeephus":3fcpskj1 said:

Edited to add: one of the calves was shot 16 times and still not dead. How is it that law enforcement cannot seem to humanely kill an animal? I have killed an elephant and two cape buffalo. Each with one shot. I don't know what the problem is.

Margonme":2wmkqvsl said:
Jogeephus":2wmkqvsl said:

Edited to add: one of the calves was shot 16 times and still not dead. How is it that law enforcement cannot seem to humanely kill an animal? I have killed an elephant and two cape buffalo. Each with one shot. I don't know what the problem is.

It musn't have been a black calf Ron.

Ken

wbvs58":bse1g4dh said:
Margonme":bse1g4dh said:
Jogeephus":bse1g4dh said:

It musn't have been a black calf Ron.

Ken

:lol2:

Jogeephus":46rut6a5 said:

You stray from the rule because you are basically a good hearted person and you enjoy helping out people who seem to need a little help and you tend to trust those who have done you no harm.

Me....I have gotten to the point where I will run off missionaries at gun point and others may actually hear gunfire.

Margonme":2q6u1180 said:
Jogeephus":2q6u1180 said:

Did you do it with a 9 MM?

Saturday, wife and I drove up to the Temple Waco area just to get away for awhile. Coming back Sunday outside of Brenham, we saw a Mexican guy about my age trying to push an F-150 backwards at the entrance to a convenience store--a woman about the same age was behind the wheel--my wife said, "we should stop and help him". So we did, pushed it back, and then he said he wanted to push it up the entrance and into the store parking lot--a pretty steep grade. The old woman couldn't get the steering wheel turned without the engine running--I barely could thru the open window. We got it pushed almost to the top of the entrance and my legs were give out--about that time, 2 young guys came wheeling into the parking lot, jumped out and helped push it the rest of the way. Sunday night around midnight, my back hurt so bad I couldn't move and was stove up all day Monday and Monday night that it hurt to even walk. Shulda pushed it with my truck but the bumpers didn't line up very well and the back of my truck would be stuck out onto the busy frontage road at the end of exit ramp from 105.. I'm just now gettin over it. no good deed...

Margonme":1slampqq said:
Jogeephus":1slampqq said:

My brother who is now retired was a cop for years. He won national honors for his shooting. He says most cops aren't very good shots. They are also trained to shoot at center of mass. Center of mass on a person facing you is a whole lot different than center of mass of a calf standing broadside.

I did have him going but in the end I hope the next time he uses a gate he will leave it just as he found it. Apart from laziness there was no reason not to shut the gate.

TexasBred":5yhz8spn said:
Margonme":5yhz8spn said:
Jogeephus":5yhz8spn said:

Did you do it with a 9 MM?

No sir. .375 H&H Magnum.

Margonme":3he3mzjl said:
Jogeephus":3he3mzjl said:

The elephant and cape were probaly healthy and somewhat calm when you shot them. Being peed off and in pain makes an animal much harder to kill. I have had a lot more trouble putting down a half dead cripple than a healthy freezer steer.

Jogeephus":36k88okn said:
.... a woman hit one of my cows with her car. The lady is alright but her child wasn't buckled and was thrown from the vehicle and was life flighted to the University of Florida and is said to be in critical condition and his prognosis doesn't look good.

....due to his careless negligence.
Nope, the woman goes to jail due to her negligence of transporting a child without proper safety restraint.

Son of Butch":ch1ate7b said:
Jogeephus":ch1ate7b said:
.... a woman hit one of my cows with her car. The lady is alright but her child wasn't buckled and was thrown from the vehicle and was life flighted to the University of Florida and is said to be in critical condition and his prognosis doesn't look good.

....due to his careless negligence.
Nope, the woman goes to jail due to her negligence of transporting a child without proper safety restraint.

Ain't that the truth.

Latest posts