nfz puffer

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan

Reaction score
I have a cow with the early signs of pink eye. I don't mess around with pink eye, she will be caught up this morning and treated with a slightly heavy dose of LA-200.

Now for my question, I have a bottle of nfz puffer, my wife seems to always kept a bottle around. It's a nitrofurazone in powder form, in a sqeeze bottle. Was thinking about using it also. Has anyone ever used this for pink eye, or as a secondary treatment for pink eye? I'm just wondering if it's worth the extra effort.

Thanks,
Alan

Alan in my opinion the puffers is worth little more than a puff of dust.

What does work is dry-cow mastitis intra mammary injection. There has to be cloxicillin in it to really be effective. The one I use is Curaclox DC iNtramammary. Just squirt a little in the eye and in combination with an oxytetracycline like LA200 will give good results.

We also have a ointent called Terracortril that works very well, the only problem is that you can only get it from a vet and its 10 times the price of Curaclox

Alan":1801jero said:
Now for my question, I have a bottle of nfz puffer, my wife seems to always kept a bottle around. It's a nitrofurazone in powder form, in a sqeeze bottle. Was thinking about using it also. Has anyone ever used this for pink eye, or as a secondary treatment for pink eye? I'm just wondering if it's worth the extra effort.

I have tried a nfz puffer and did not see an obvious benefit. We treat with oxycyline and better feed. Cattle under stress (like poor feed during the summer slump) have a much bigger problem with pink eye.

My neighbor "treats" with an eye patch and no meds. Swears by it. I have tried an eye patch with cases that did not respond to one oxycline treatment and it seems to help them recover.

NFZ Puffers were supposed to come off the market with labeling concerns.I'd have to say the main ingredient, besides dust is Sulfur.As a preventative, CTC mixed in with Feed would be a better approach.

Thanks to you three for the responses, good things for thought.

Alan

The most effective treatment for pinkeye for us has been vaccination. Even with only one shot it seems to keep it out.I have used the NFZ on cattle in conjunction with injectable antibiotic. I have a little higher opinion of it than the others that have posted, but not as a stand alone treatment.On stubborn cases we have used Nuflor in the neck then injecting penicillin and dexamethasone into the inside of the lower eyelid.
All of the treatments the other posters suggested work too. Sometimes it is just a matter of finding the right combination.
Larry

larryshoat":wexnfwq1 said:
The most effective treatment for pinkeye for us has been vaccination. Even with only one shot it seems to keep it out.I have used the NFZ on cattle in conjunction with injectable antibiotic. I have a little higher opinion of it than the others that have posted, but not as a stand alone treatment.On stubborn cases we have used Nuflor in the neck then injecting penicillin and dexamethasone into the inside of the lower eyelid.
All of the treatments the other posters suggested work too. Sometimes it is just a matter of finding the right combination.
Larry

which vaccine do you use?

I have had very limited success with Piliguard Trivalent, not sure its worth the effort

which vaccine do you use?

I have had very limited success with Piliguard Trivalent, not sure its worth the effort[/quote]
This summer at turn out we used 20/20 Vision 7.We had good luck with it . It could be you are up against a different strain.
And it depends on alot of other factors too . We also put in fly tags.

We used the Ocu-Guard vaccine from Boeringer-Ingelheim this spring, but a vaccine is not a cure all for pinkeye. Most of the cases I had this summer were mild, but had 3 that got real bad and annoying.

I use Bio-Mycin 200, then put a little dab of terramycin ointment in the eye and patch if it a ways along. Seems to work good for me.

We have used the NFZ Puffer but it is very hard to get it to shoot the powder into the eye unless the bottle is upside down. I don't know if it works or not, we always give the oxy-tet injection as well, and we do patch if it is a severe case.

We had problems in our cattle a few years ago (Charolais) and started giving the pinkeye as a separate vaccination rather than something like 20/20 Vision 8 where they get 7-way with pinkeye. We also give our yearling and 2 year old heifers a booster pinkeye shot and this has almost entirely erased our problems.

It is illegal for a producer or veterinarian to administer nitrofurazone topically or via any other means since 2002.
Consult your vet!!
PS. it didn't help much for pinkeye anyway.

February 7, 2002

FDA PROHIBITS NITROFURAN DRUG USE IN FOOD-PRODUCING ANIMALS

FDA is issuing an order prohibiting the extralabel use of topical nitrofuran animal and human drugs in food-producing animals. This order is based on evidence that extralabel use of topical nitrofuran drugs in food-producing animals may result in the presence of residues that are carcinogenic and have not been shown to be safe. The Agency finds that such extralabel use presents a risk to the public health for the purposes of the Animal Medicinal Drug Use Clarification Act (AMDUCA) of 1994.

AMDUCA amended the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act to allow licensed veterinarians to prescribe extra-label uses of approved animal drugs and human drugs in animals. Section 2(a)(4)(D) of the AMDUCA provides that the Agency may prohibit an extra-label drug use in animals if, after affording an opportunity for public comment, the Agency finds that such use presents a risk to the public health.

In the past, FDA permitted two approved topical nitrofurans to be used in cattle. These products were:

Furazolidone aerosol powder (trade names such as Topazone and Furox aerosol.)

Nitrofurazone topical powder for pinkeye and wounds (trade names such as NFZ Puffer and P.E. 7.)

A carbon-14 (C-14) radio-label residue depletion study conducted by the FDA showed that detectable levels of nitrofuran derivatives are present in edible tissues (milk, meat, kidney, liver) of cattle treated by the ocular (eye) route. The study indicates that use of these nitrofuran products may pose a risk to public health because residues of known carcinogens are present in edible tissues.

Thats interesting. How come you can still buy it OTC if a vet can't even administer it?

Read the label,
it will say "for use in Dogs and Cats only, CAUTION: Federal Law prohibits the use of this product in food producing animals."
If it doesn't it was made before 2002 and should have been removed from shelf.

PS. don't breathe the dust when applying to your dogs ears!

Latest posts