Newly Registered to Boards

Help Support CattleToday:

mitchwi

Reaction score
Good Afternoon - I have used the boards here many times while searching for information, and finally took the time today to register. Everyone seems to be quite friendly and honest which I appreciate.

Our farm is located in West Central Wisconsin. We have just sold off our fed cattle, and am looking at the possibility of purchasing bred cows. We have 160 acres but only 80 of it is open. I have been entertaining the idea of finding fall calvers and wonder if other northern farmers are on this type of schedule and how it may be working out for them?

Welcome from North West Iowa. We calve 3 times a year here. Works fine for us.

Welcome Mitch! I'm located about an hour north of Madison. I'm not aware of many folks doing the fall calving thing in our neck of the woods, mainly due to our cold winters. I've only had a couple of cows with calves on them through the winter (they were actually very late summer calves)-in both instances the cows maintained their body weight ok...but the calves just didn't seem to grow a whole lot during the cold weather.
Having said that, please keep in mind that my cattle are out in the weather the entire winter-they do have a windbreak, but no access to inside shelter. I also do not believe in feeding any supplemental feed-they get hay only. I'm guessing if you were planning to provide extra feed for the calves they might do a little better...but then you also have that additional cost involved.

mgman - Thank you (and everyone) for the input, it sounds like we operate much the same as you. I have been talking to a few farmers in the north doing the fall calving, I think I will continue the research before making a decision.

Welcome from middle Tennessee. We sometimes have a few to calve in the fall but I don't think they do as good for us either. We feed hay, they stay outside although our winters aren't real harsh we sometimes have some really cold snaps. I prefer ours to calve early spring, seems like they do better then especially when the grass starts popping up. We do put some pellets in a creep feeder for some of them. :)

mitchwi":31i4brpm said:
I have been entertaining the idea of finding fall calvers and wonder if other northern farmers are on this type of schedule and how it may be working out for them?

There is a good article on the benefits/or reasons for fall calving in July's Hereford World magazine.

I have a fall and spring herd (calving groups)

Unfortunately I'm not anywhere near Wisconsin.. :)

Welcome Mitchwi....we're up in cold country also and calve in the spring with an occasional summer calf, like to have them weined before the cold weather sets in. We have loafing sheds and the cows are out all year (except last year when it dropped down past 0 and Susie made me put the young ones in the barn for two nights). Feed extra cracked corn for the ME value during the cold months seems to work as the weight gain averages 2#/day in the winter. The cows are starting the third trimester so we feed them high quality alfalfa. Thought about fall calves but haven't bred for it...will see what the opinions are. Dave Mc

Welcome, lots of good info on here, and a great bunch of people always willing to share there ideas.