Newborn with odd "problem"

Help Support CattleToday:

Workinonit Farm

Reaction score
Here's the situation...calf born sometime between 3:00 a.m. and 6:30 a.m. today. Bull calf approx. 75 lbs. Appears healthy and normal in every way. This is the 4th calf for this cow, all previous calves normal and healthy, no problems with birthing or otherwise (for this cow). The cow passed the "afterbirth" cleanly and quickly. The calf walks/jogs, sucks, pees, very alert, seems fine. But when the calf poops, it almost shoots out, looks like yellow water with cottage cheese mixed in. When the poop doesn't "shoot" out, it "falls" out like a cow breaking it's water bag. I first saw this odditiy around 8:00 a.m. Observed the cow and calf on and off all morning, all seemed normal but the poop. Called vet this afternoon about this. Suggested to do what I would have done, and he cannot figure out why this is happening. Am currently giving the calf yogurt (don't have Probios on hand) and will give electrolytes tonight...all at the recomendation of the good Doctor and will continue to "keep an eye" on calf, watch for dehydration, weakness etc. As of 6:00 p.m. this evening, all seems fine except for the poop. He (the Vet.) has not seen or heard of scours occuring so early in such a young calf. Neither had I , that was why I called. Cow is/was up to date on vaccinations and regularly de-wormed. It's a mystery to both of us.
All calves born here this year so far were all "normal" deliveries, with healthy calves. (got lucky so far)
I spoke with a dairy friend and a couple of other beef folks and only the dairy guy could remember seeing this once, long time ago but doesn't remember what the deal was. Has anyone ever seen this in their herds?

Katherine

As of 8:00 a.m. today, the calf's manure appears to be thickening. Has the texture and consistancy of the yogurt, not quite "normal" yet. He was up and running after momma. Seems healthy and strong otherwise. I've talked to a few more people about this, and they had never seen this either. Nothing in any of my old reference books.

Katherine

A couple years back we had a real battle with scours (E. coli), and we did get a few calves that came down with it at one day old.

Sure no mistaking that 'sour' smell :shock: or the orange juice appearance and consitancy of the manure. On the upside of it, they did respond very quickly. Usually just gave them a shot of Biomycin and one tubing of electrolytes and they straightened right up.

Not saying that's what your calf had. Just that I've seen it happen.

Take care and glad to hear your calf's feeling fine.

CattleAnnie wrote
On the upside of it, they did respond very quickly. Usually just gave them a shot of Biomycin and one tubing of electrolytes and they straightened right up.

Not saying that's what your calf had. Just that I've seen it happen.

Anything is possible. That could be what it was, we just don't know. As of today (Monday) he seems fine. At this point his manure appears normal and he is romping around and strong as he should be. One person I know suggested possible mastitis (calf drinking "polluted" milk), but the cow's bag is normal, and "normal" milk coming from all 4 quarters.

Katherine

Latest posts