Newbie (pics)

Help Support CattleToday:

El_Putzo

Reaction score
Just wanted to share a couple pics of my first calf out of my hereford heifers. That's his momma standing close and his pappy is a not-so-homozygous black simmental. :lol: He was born early yesterday without incident. 82 lbs and lots of energy. These were taken just before we removed his manhood and tagged him. He didn't stick around long after that. Sorry about the freaky eyes, it was getting dark and I guess the flash caused it.

Babypics002.jpg

Babypics001.jpg

~

Congrats El Putzo on a fine calf.

I laughed when I read your phrase... "not-so-homozygous black simmental." I love red calves. Especially red simmentals.

Thankfully, the angus bull we used last year was also a "not-so-homozygous black angus." First red calves hit the ground last weekend. A Very Unexpected surprise.

Continued good luck on your next calves.

Thanks for sharing the photos.

The heifer is 2yrs and 7mos old now, which could account for her size and condition. I didn't buy her until she was 17 months old, and I couldn't breed her to fit into our calving cycle until she was about 22 months. She'll get a few pounds of grain a day for the next couple or 3 months, until I get her bred back, then she'll probably go out on grass and not see a bite of grain ever again.

Latest posts