New venison recipe

Help Support CattleToday:

D.R. Cattle

Reaction score
My cousins up in WV whipped out a couple mason jars this year and heated it up for me. The stuff inside didn't look too appealing but it smelled good and I tried it. Best dang stuff I ever put in my mouth. "Canned deer meat." I'm sure there are a few on here who know about it but I'll tell for the rest. Use only the very best meats without fat, gristle or sinew. Trim fat if necessary. Cut into 1" cubes and pack tightly into canning jars. I used pints but quarts are good too. For pints add 1 spoonfull of canning salt, for quarts 2 spoons. Cut back on the salt a little if you don't like salty meat. Fill jar tightly to the threads of the jar. Put on your lids. Not tight for those of you who don't know cannning. Cook under 10 lbs pressure for 1:15 for pints, and 1:30 for quarts. Allow pressure to subside slowly (on it's own). Remove jars and store in cupboard. Meat inside is cooked and can be heated or eaten cold. I liked it so much I tried it on a beef eye round roast and it was just as good or better. I need to go shoot another deer so I can do up some more.

Grandma always canned her sausage. Since we did not have electricty until the late 50s, she would make up the patties and put them in the jars, then pressure cook them.
Take them out and heat or eat cold. Good stuff I tell ya :)

D.R. Cattle":nra4rgjq said:
My cousins up in WV whipped out a couple mason jars this year and heated it up for me. The stuff inside didn't look too appealing but it smelled good and I tried it. Best dang stuff I ever put in my mouth. "Canned deer meat." I'm sure there are a few on here who know about it but I'll tell for the rest. Use only the very best meats without fat, gristle or sinew. Trim fat if necessary. Cut into 1" cubes and pack tightly into canning jars. I used pints but quarts are good too. For pints add 1 spoonfull of canning salt, for quarts 2 spoons. Cut back on the salt a little if you don't like salty meat. Fill jar tightly to the threads of the jar. Put on your lids. Not tight for those of you who don't know cannning. Cook under 10 lbs pressure for 1:15 for pints, and 1:30 for quarts. Allow pressure to subside slowly (on it's own). Remove jars and store in cupboard. Meat inside is cooked and can be heated or eaten cold. I liked it so much I tried it on a beef eye round roast and it was just as good or better. I need to go shoot another deer so I can do up some more.

Good reminder D.R. We have been doing beef like this for as long as I can remember. It's a good fast meal. Just started trying it with deer last year. I don't think it's as good as canned beef, but I new and interesting way to eat venison nonetheless.

El_Putzo":y19jfh0c said:
D.R. Cattle":y19jfh0c said:

Good reminder D.R. We have been doing beef like this for as long as I can remember. It's a good fast meal. Just started trying it with deer last year. I don't think it's as good as canned beef, but I new and interesting way to eat venison nonetheless.

I've been canning my beans and such for a while, just never thought to try meat. Good skill to have, handy way to have ready cooked, excellent tasting meat.

Not only a good skill to have and excellent tasting meat, but saves on freezer space. It is amazing how many people think they have to freeze everything, and have 2 and 3 freezers mostly filled with vegetables.

I gotta admit I do all the canning around my place. My wife was raised to fear the pressure cooker. Her grandmother would not let them near the pressure cooker. She even made them whisper while in the house. This made a lasting impression on her. I canned some bear meat last year, I believe it is even better than deer.

My Mom always canned meat; chicken, beef, venison, salmon, etc as well as vegetables and fruit. She only went to town to the store about once a month for stuff she couldn't grow like sugar and flour and such. The canned meat makes the best darn gravy there is!

MeatTimetablesandCanningInstruction.jpg

MeatTimetablesandCanningInstr.jpg

MeatTimetablesandCanningInst.jpg

Latest posts