New used truck

Help Support CattleToday:

papavillars

Reaction score
Ok everyone, my granddaughter needs a new used truck. She currently uses my 06 duramax to pull her horse trailer. She only pulls about thirty miles one way. She currently has a 2008 4 runner 4x4. What do you recommend. Brand and year also motor. She will be going to Texas Tech or Tarelton State next year. Thanks.

True grit, I sure don't want a new truck. Real happy with the duramax. We will sell her 4 runner to fund her truck. Just can't decide what to buy.

papavillars":16mdiwdk said:
True grit, I sure don't want a new truck. Real happy with the duramax. We will sell her 4 runner to fund her truck. Just can't decide what to buy.
Well then...another 06 duramax.... :)
As said, a half ton should pull a 16 ft trailer with good breaks... but from safety side of things, the bigger vehicle wins most of the time. I know I like the feel of my duramax over my Toyota, especially on wet roads. And good tires are definitly key on the half ton.

Probably didn't say anything you don't already know.

papavillars":2ikj8fwf said:
The 4 runner should sell well... Like brute said 3/4 ...half ton will work harder to pull that trailer. Harder on gas and running gear...

Craig Miller":15wvodza said:
shaz":15wvodza said:
Any 1/2 ton should work for that.

I agree and I would pull it myself that way but I would not let my daughter or granddaughter drive it.

Same here. There is no money difference.

I cringe when I see people buy their kids these little cars and brag about the fuel economy. I drive a lot of miles and see a lot of wrecks. I would put my kids in a tank if I could.

Thanks everyone! I have not bought a gasser since 1999. I just wondered if there was much difference in reliability between makes in the 2010 to 2015.

papavillars":20q0620t said:
It's a sixteen foot bumper pull stock trailer. It works for a couple of horses.

What model is her 4runner? If it is 2003 or newer with the 4.0 v6 and 5sp auto she might be fine with what she has. They tow surprisingly well. My wife had an 2008 that I would not hesitate to tow that much as long as the car had a brake box. Rember if she is going to be driving it to college that the parking places are sized for a Honda Civic. When I drove my regular cab f-350 to school i had to take up 4 parking places.

I'd let anybody tow that trailer with a newer half ton truck any day of the week. A newer (say 2013+) half ton has better brakes, engine, suspension, etc (more than likely even a higher towing capacity) than a 3/4 ton truck from the early 2000's.

Hillbilly it's a 2008 v6. Chevy that's what we thought also but it's easy to ask for opinions. Thanks everyone.

Latest posts