New Tractor Price

Help Support CattleToday:

Bullbuyer

Reaction score
Does anybody know (ballpark estimate) what the traditional mark up is on a new tractor ? I've looked at some new Massey's and they don't seem to want to take hardly anything off the sticker. When buying a new truck there's ALWAYS some dickering to be done, isn't it the same with tractors ???
(Haven't bought a new one in almost 20 years - might be out of practice !)

I bought a new one (John Deere)last year .Over 5,000 difference in price on the same tractor from local dealers .

Bullbuyer":2ut3kjbd said:
Does anybody know (ballpark estimate) what the traditional mark up is on a new tractor ? I've looked at some new Massey's and they don't seem to want to take hardly anything off the sticker. When buying a new truck there's ALWAYS some dickering to be done, isn't it the same with tractors ???
(Haven't bought a new one in almost 20 years - might be out of practice !)

Don't know what the markup is........

But I went out of town a few miles and bought the exact same tractor my neighbor bought six months earlier.

His was $7,000.00 more. We compared invoices.

I don't think there is a big markup on new tractors. I'd guess 5-10%. I think the dealers make most of their gravy on parts and service.

Never bought a new tractor but the local dealers around here will not dicker on prices of anything, new or used.
They are so tight they squeak when they walk.

certherfbeef":260lq0q1 said:
Never bought a new tractor but the local dealers around here will not dicker on prices of anything, new or used.
They are so tight they squeak when they walk.

Yes they are ! We've been to Gallipolis and Jackson -both dealers are in need of some WD 40 to get rid of that squeak !

A year or so ago I thought I needed a new tractor. I started searching all the MF dealers in the SE. There were some deals on the little ones that you could get packages with but not on the one I wanted. I put an ad in fastline.com for "wanted". I bought a used one with 600 hours for about $10K less than a new one.

flaboy-":1v08mgjq said:
A year or so ago I thought I needed a new tractor. I started searching all the MF dealers in the SE. There were some deals on the little ones that you could get packages with but not on the one I wanted. I put an ad in fastline.com for "wanted". I bought a used one with 600 hours for about $10K less than a new one.

Try Highlands Massey Ferguson in Highlands Texas at one time largest dealer in the US. If you save enough could pay for the frieght.

http://highlands-tractor-kawasaki.96015 ... s-ads.com/