New toy

Help Support CattleToday:

Nesikep

Reaction score
Well, After I felt pretty good about selling the calves, I just had to go to a sporting goods store.. I saw lots of stuff I wanted, but it was always more than I needed... and more than I felt like spending. I looked at a .223 and a .243, but he didn't have any used .223's, and only 1 .243, and the cheapest was about $400.. So I looked at 12ga pumps, and it was the same story, I'd have been happy with one that had seen some years and was scratched up... because otherwise I'd be doing all that. The cheapest was again about $400, but I know my friend got a NEW one (savage I think) for about $200, so I passed on that too.. Still needing some retail therapy, I walked out with an SKS (7.62x39) and a hundred rounds of ammo, complete with WW2 bayonette and cleaning kit. So I spent the evening taking it apart and figuring it out... One of these days I'll go fire a few rounds through it. I completely realize this isn't an accurate rifle, but I figure it should be OK when I'm in bush looking for "pests". The other good part of it is I'm a bit chicken of the big calibers since I have a bit of a bad right shoulder, so after I put a couple hundred round through this, I should get my confidence up... The last thing I want to do is get a flinch, I hear they're darned hard to unlearn.

Nesikep":3vciuvbs said:
Well, After I felt pretty good about selling the calves, I just had to go to a sporting goods store.. I saw lots of stuff I wanted, but it was always more than I needed... and more than I felt like spending. I looked at a .223 and a .243, but he didn't have any used .223's, and only 1 .243, and the cheapest was about $400.. So I looked at 12ga pumps, and it was the same story, I'd have been happy with one that had seen some years and was scratched up... because otherwise I'd be doing all that. The cheapest was again about $400, but I know my friend got a NEW one (savage I think) for about $200, so I passed on that too.. Still needing some retail therapy, I walked out with an SKS (7.62x39) and a hundred rounds of ammo, complete with WW2 bayonette and cleaning kit. So I spent the evening taking it apart and figuring it out... One of these days I'll go fire a few rounds through it. I completely realize this isn't an accurate rifle, but I figure it should be OK when I'm in bush looking for "pests". The other good part of it is I'm a bit chicken of the big calibers since I have a bit of a bad right shoulder, so after I put a couple hundred round through this, I should get my confidence up... The last thing I want to do is get a flinch, I hear they're darned hard to unlearn.

Congrats on the new toy I like shooting through metal pipes with my ak lol

Jo... I'm not quite sure of the difference, it's a fold-out blade, if you want to call it that, it's pointed but isn't sharpened.

I think I ought to get a good laser pointer mounted on it, or a low power scope...

I fired a couple rounds though it today, seemed to work ok, have to tweak the sights though. Can't figure out why soft point ammo in 20 packs are cheaper than FMJ from the same company in the same pack. I ought to be able to hit a bear at 50 feet with it right?

Nesi I find a laser pointer great just on my .22 which I take with me on the bike in case the dogs find a pig which they regularly do. I can easily head shoot it from the hip and I know when the dogs are safe to shoot it rather than looking down the tunnel of the scope and losing the peripheral vision.
Ken

wbvs58":3of9y22n said:
Nesi I find a laser pointer great just on my .22 which I take with me on the bike in case the dogs find a pig which they regularly do. I can easily head shoot it from the hip and I know when the dogs are safe to shoot it rather than looking down the tunnel of the scope and losing the peripheral vision.
Ken

Ken, that is a virtue of the pointer I had not considered.

My wife has a SKS that she deer hunts with. Nice shooting little gun with very little kick, but a heavy gun. She likes it and had taken several deer with it.

I completely realize this isn't an accurate rifle,

Depends. I've had one since 2007 and find it shoots as accurate as any other rifle I've owned out to about 250 yards, but drops off quickly after that. No where near as flat a trajectory as a .270 but adequate for my purposes.
I think you will be surprised at the kick--or lack of it. It's weight helps to lessen the kick.
A discussion of SKS recoil here:
http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/inde ... 97998.html

To me, the sks has very very little recoil--about the same or less than the M14 I fired a lot of rounds thru when I was in the service. The gas piston in most semiautos slows down or extends the time of total recoil some.
Here's a recoil table of various rifles and bullet velocities--recoil in lbs/ft at far right:
http://www.aquilafirearms.com/RifleOpti ... Brakes.htm

And just for fun:
[youtube]ZrdXcpnKsgQ[/youtube]

I can't watch the video from here, but I did look at the list of recoil energies, etc... is the 7.62x39 known as another caliber?

I find the recoil of it not bad at all, After sighting in a .308 with 10 rounds I felt my shoulder a little, but 10 rounds on this was no problem at all.. may find a better shoulder pad for it and that would make it more comfortable.

I find one of my biggest sources of discomfort shooting is my neck isn't flexible enough? could be my shoulder as well, but I find I really have to be 'out of position' to be able to sight down the barrel with most stocks... I typical 'saddle gun' like the lever 30-30's would be miserable for me, I need a bit more of an angle in the stock to raise the barrel without raising my shoulder. I might check out some of the tactical stocks available for these.

Nesikep":387smyew said:
I can't watch the video from here, but I did look at the list of recoil energies, etc... is the 7.62x39 known as another caliber?
Closest cousin to 7.62x39 would be .30-30 for comparable recoil--but the .30-30 is more powerful I believe.
.308 is 7.62x51

12 ga Moss pump is my home defense weapon--the SKS is my wife's--she handles and shoots it fine and she's just 5'2".
I just can't get her tutored on getting a new stripper in right. Hopefully it will all be over by the time she fires all 10.

Yes, there are better stocks and better butt plates than the one it comes with, but I do fine with the original--so far.
Most military rifles of that period were made with stocks designed for shooter to be in prone or kneeling position as opposed to standing.

That would make sense (design of stocks on military rifles)

What ammo do you use for home defense? SP or FMJ?

Out of pure curiosity, would anyone rebarrel them with higher quality barrels? like from a good .308?.. figure there would be some finnicking for the gas port.. I'm sure there's been someone who'd done it and put a sniper barrel on them.. you folks are gun nuts ;)

Pig sticker doesn't have a blade just a starred type cylinder blade for poking.

I wouldn't rebarrel it myself. Might just get some 30 round clips. If I was looking for more accuracy at a cheap price I'd look for a 7.62x54. There are some surplus one's on the market that can be had cheap if you look and these are normally pretty accurate rifles. Friend picked up one a while back and shot a nice group with iron sites at 400 yards and the bullets really did a number on the 1/2 inch plate steel so its packing a lot of punch.

I don't need to get a 7.62x54... That's a 308 and we have one already.. we have some FMJ ammo for it since it's cheaper too. If it weren't for legality, I would convert it to full auto for some fun.

In that list of recoil energies, D@MN some of those must be nasty.. the 308 is listed at about 25 ft lb or something, there are some up there (457's?) at 120 ft lbs... I couldn't imagine that.

I lists the muzzle velocity of the 22-250 at 4000 fps, but I know the ammo is a lot more $ than 223, so i'm still going to keep my eye open for one...

What I'm saying is before I went and spent money on revamping an SKS I'd just buy one of the commie rifles that are 7.62x54. You can buy them cheap and the ammo is cheap and they seem to be very accurate. Just keep the SKS just like it is and stick a 30 round clip in it and you are golden.

If I were to revamp it, I'd do it mostly myself (no, I wouldn't rebarrel it), but it would all be a budget build.. stuff that can be done with some hand tools, grinders, etc.

Oh, and about getting some goose.. wouldn't you know it that as soon as I got the shotgun and ammo, we got a light frost, and the whole lot of them buggered off... Now I have 25 rounds of ammo (3" BB) and no targets... Perhaps the crows will learn something about what they should be doing at this time of year.

Latest posts