New to site

Help Support CattleToday:

M.Sarria

Reaction score
Hi all nice site wish I would have none about it four month ago, I got my first cows 09/3/04 two breeded shorthorns and 1, 3 year old steer and a 1 year old steer all shorthorn one cow gave birth on 4/26/05 to a heffer nice looking strate back and the other gave birth on 8/24/05 to a heffer she look good and then she had a hump back and died??? she was 5 month old??I dont no way??

M.Sarria":257esf4u said:
Hi all nice site wish I would have none about it four month ago, I got my first cows 09/3/04 two breeded shorthorns and 1, 3 year old steer and a 1 year old steer all shorthorn one cow gave birth on 4/26/05 to a heffer nice looking strate back and the other gave birth on 8/24/05 to a heffer she look good and then she had a hump back and died??? she was 5 month old??I dont no way??

Welcome M Sarria,

Glad to see another Washintonian on the board, what part of WA are you in? As for the calf, were there any signs? We had a calf like that once and we think that the wrong bull got in and was an inbred calf but it was only a couple weeks old when it died.

M.Sarria":9sjmuppx said:
one cow gave birth on 4/26/05 to a heffer nice looking strate back and the other gave birth on 8/24/05 to a heffer she look good and then she had a hump back and died??? she was 5 month old??I dont no way??

Possible pnemonia (sp?)? How was her breathing?

Welcome...looks like we're getting more of us from the pacific north west on the board.
So many things that could kill a calf, need to have all the details before we can take a wild shot at it.
Good luck to you and keep on posting.
DMc

Thank you all for your replys, Keven I just bought my farm here Toutle 2 years ago this my dreem but coming from southern California city, dont no much of cows but welling to learn all I can, my son is going to LCC, next year he is going to Washington u in Vancover.
his brething seem good he was a little on the thin sided, I have a hourse that I,m holding for some one and some time that horse would just go after him and try to kick him? so realy I dont no if he did kick him? they told me at the feed store that his mother did not have enf milk could it be? I,m new to cattle so I dont what to look for, do you have to keep mom and her calf away from the other when they are born??
Thank again evey one for helping.

M.Sarria":3rsjpgh0 said:
Thank you all for your replys, Keven I just bought my farm here Toutle 2 years ago this my dreem but coming from southern California city, dont no much of cows but welling to learn all I can, my son is going to LCC, next year he is going to Washington u in Vancover.
his brething seem good he was a little on the thin sided, I have a hourse that I,m holding for some one and some time that
  • horse would just go after him and try to kick him? so realy I dont no if he did kick him
? they told me at the feed store that his mother did not have enf milk could it be? I,m new to cattle so I dont what to look for, do you have to keep mom and her calf away from the other when they are born??
Id get the horse away from them pronto they dont mix. if that calve made it 5 month chances are it wasnt all momas fault. keep your cattle together after they calve if all is well. less stress that way but like misscamp said it might have been pneumonia with the humped back . tail tucked droopy ears are a sign also

M.Sarria":1l0qi4yh said:
his brething seem good he was a little on the thin sided, I have a hourse that I,m holding for some one and some time that horse would just go after him and try to kick him? so realy I dont no if he did kick him? they told me at the feed store that his mother did not have enf milk could it be? I,m new to cattle so I dont what to look for, do you have to keep mom and her calf away from the other when they are born??

Like alacattlemen said, dont mix species, cattle can contract alot of diseases that horses and others are immune to.

As for Toutle, thats awesome, I grew up north of you in Tenino (10 out of Centrailia/Chehalis), have a few hundred head of cows there.