New to cattle, information please.

Help Support CattleToday:

Irishred

Reaction score
Hello,

We just moved to a cattle farm (renting a second house) They have several fields and we would like to help with at least obsevations of the mamas and babies that are in the fields near our house. We also have a son (12 and homeschooled) that is helping several days a week with some of the farm work.I would like for him to learn more about the cows as well.

What are some websites and/or books you would suggest?

Thank you. I look forward to learning more.

Irishred

The Storey books are a good introduction. Go by the library and check out whatever they have on it. You might be surprised to find one or 2 good dusty books on a top shelf somewhere.

Yeah! Our library has that listed in their on-line catalog. We will try to pick it up this weekend. Thank you for the suggestion. If we like it, we may try to find a copy to buy too.

Anything for kids as far as books go? In addition to our 12yo we have a 4yo and a 1 yo.

Thanks
Irishred

For the younger 2, I would just give them some farm animal books and teach them on a need to know basis. :) The Storey book shouldn't be inappropriate for your 12 year old, but the library might have something they would be more interested in. Just remember to teach them all "SAFETY 1ST"

Storey's guide to raising beef cattle is a very good book, my daughter gave me one for christmas a few years ago and I read it often.

The best way to get a kid interested in the cattle business is to get him a calf. I also have a 12 yo son and a 14yo daughter. Their first one I bought it and kelp up with the feed cost. When they sold it they payed me for the purchase and feed. They still made 95 dollars each. Of course I didn't count all of the cost such as weed control, fences, utilities, medication etc.. Now they have 2 each of their own. They are really interested in the welfare of their calves. It has really been a good project for them. It teaches them the value of labor and profits from that labor.

BAMA

Thank you all for your responses.

We are looking for a copy of Storey's guide to raising beef cattle. Looks perfect.

We are also looking into getting DS12 a calf to raise For the time being, he is allowed to help with the ones near the house (3 large fields). We are all watching them.

Thanks again.
Kristina

cowgal":3bmfc6sr said:
Why couldn't I have been born rich instead of good looking?"

Why couldn't most of us have both!.. :D : Nice cartoon...what's it have to do with cattle?... :shock:

Irishred":3srhfm5n said:
Hello,

I would like for him to learn more about the cows as well.

What are some websites and/or books you would suggest?

Thank you. I look forward to learning more.

Irishred

Take him over to the neighbors and let him walk the pasture with the man. Best way kids learn is to see it... ;-)

I agree with everyone that said the best way to teach your son about cows is to just let him see it all. There are some good books out there and they can be interesting to read when you are first getting into cows but you have to remember one thing: You may have read the books but the cows didn't so they don't always follow the books and you can't either. ;-)

1848":1ztghrs0 said:
cowgal":1ztghrs0 said:
Why couldn't I have been born rich instead of good looking?"

Why couldn't most of us have both!.. :D : Nice cartoon...what's it have to do with cattle?... :shock:

Absolutely nothing! But you should see how easily I can work the aged bulls in the Spring! Just bat those lashes and they come single-file through the alleys. If you find me offensive or intimidating, let me know and I will try to find something uglier for ya!

cowgal":2fi5na29 said:
If you find me offensive or intimidating, let me know and I will try to find something uglier for ya!

Neither offensive or intimidating............just loud and non-typical!

....................how ugly?...... :p

You just wait and I will show you ugly! That one came from the cattle today gallery. I was just getting bored looking at the same old cows on here, and I am having heck resizing my pictures!