New problems to work

Help Support CattleToday:

flaboy

Reaction score
Well, I have had my boys back from the trainer for a few weeks now. They are doing well in the saddle. Getting one of them in the bridle was a problem. Getting both of them in the trailer was a problem. What happens to these guys? It's like they forgot everything I thought them.

So, I worked both at the back of the trailer making them move and then leading up to the back and tapping the ankles with my stick if necessary. The will load upon command again now to make a longer story short. :lol:

The bucker decided he wasn't taking the bit anymore. So, I get him out in a halter and start working the bridle up REAL easy and taking it away. All was well until I touched his lips and up in the air, twisting the head to shake me, and back. So I take the opportunity to wait for him to come down and give me some slack in the halter. When he did I popped the lead which caused the halter to pop him across the nose. It only took three repeats of the aforementioned exercise before he got the idea. I would just wait for him to start back down and pop the halter. He stood for 8-10 put on's and take offs of the bridle after that.

These guys sure picked up some bad habits. I didn't have these problems before sending them to a "finisher". I was wanting to start them on cattle but now I have to fix these other issues AGAIN. :x

Sorry, just venting.

Well, it was a time issue for me. I had them to the point where I needed to get on them and work them 5-6 days a week but I just didn't have the time. I decided to pay this guy to take them to the next stage. He did ok but apparently didn't keep up the respect training I had already given them.

Last night I caught the bucker up again and lead him out of the pasture. I put the bridle on him 4-5 times with and without his halter on. He stood like a perfect gentleman. Sure wish I could have gotten video of before and after to show the trainer.

The trainer ALWAYS bridled him in cross ties.

I HATE crossties!! Could "trainer"have been jamming the bit in? Been meaning to ask-what happens to the horse after he bucks you off- Do you make him work? Not saying this right*sorry

peg4x4":308rdo75 said:
I HATE crossties!! Could "trainer"have been jamming the bit in? Been meaning to ask-what happens to the horse after he bucks you off- Do you make him work? Not saying this right*sorry

He used those fancy Clinton Anderson slip thingies on his cross ties. My idiot does MUCH better if I just stand close to him and drop the lead rope on the ground.

I think/hope the bucker is fixed as far as that goes. When I was working him and threw me (the one time) I got back on and ran him across a pasture three more times before getting off. To my knowledge it was the last time he bucked. The trainer said he never bucked with him. His biggest problem is respect. I think he was spoiled by a woman before I got him and mean no disrespect to women. He had their number and thought it would work with me.

I have always been leary about sending horses to a "trainer" that is why we stopped doing it and now train all of our own horses. Since we have full time jobs off of the ranch it takes us a little longer to "finish" our horses but they are better off.

That's absolute stupidity that he bridled your horse in crossties all of the time! Who is this guy? I assume you went over everything you had worked on and everything you wanted done before you dropped them off? Nothing is more agrivating than teaching and reteaching and breaking new bad habits. We bought a yearling stallion this spring who was treated like a pet. When we brought him home he had a severe biting problem along with other behavioral problems. Long story short we put a yearling gelding in with him and everytime we get him out we put a chain on him also. However, we never have to use it. No biting no trying to walk over you no invading your space and I can trim him without a fight. If you haven't seen any improvements in your horses than maybe you should talk to this fella and see about some type of reimbursement.

i often wonder about trainers in general. i have watch some of anderson videos and the stuff works but sure takes lots of time. i had a briddle problem with a horse. i did use cross ties for about a week. then i went back and she was much better. honestly the problem was so frustrating that cross ties where my only options. otherwise i was fighting with her.

for good or bad with the price of horses now i dont waste a bunch of time with one that does not train easily. for me its not worth the time and there are lots of ok horse out there to work with.

Honestly I don't put much worth in any of the high profile trainers, i.e. Clinton Anderson, Lynn Palm, etc. They may get the job done, but IMO the real jewels are those backwoods, hard to find, word of mouth trainers. Those guys are the real deals. No glitz no glamour no endorsement deals just horse training. Most people don't realize when you take your horse to a large trainer, it may not be that trainer working your horse, but an assistant or volunteer. When we are brought horses my wife and I are the only ones who work and train the horses. She has her projects and I have mine. Just beware and be careful when choosing a trainer.

i agree with you re the local trainers. i only buy older horses 10 yrs who at least know the basics. then i will put them through some basic ground work exercises. i dont think sending a horse to a trainer unless the horse has specfic issues is going to help me work with the horse. my horses respect me but with others they can get a little confused by body lanuage etc. i have used a trainer that comes over and gives me some pointers which has helped but honestly i wont bother with a real project horse because of my lack of experience and inventory of horses in the area. most of the horses i have purchase have been ridable they just need refinement. i dont expect a lot except a basic cow horse.

I realize this is an old subject!!! I once sent a green broke horse to a trainer, and I honestly don't think he worked with her at all or did a thing with her. I showed up at his place unexpectantly, and her stall was filthy, she had no water, and flies were everywhere. It was clear his wife had no idea where he was, I stayed there for 3 hours waiting on him. His wife and children lived in very primitive conditions, no refrigerator, hardly any food to eat. I knew for a fact that this man had a very well paying day job, besides the additional "horse training" he did, or claimed to do. I just got a very bad feeling about the whole situation, he had told me he was working with my horse everyday, yet I could tell by his wife's reaction that, he had not been home any to work her. it would be hard for me to ever trust another "trainer" again!!! I have heard lots of horror stories over the years.

Latest posts