new here and have a question

Help Support CattleToday:

pawzntails

Reaction score
Hi there I am new to the forum and have a question about a calf that we had to pull. My husbands grandfather had to pull one of the calves and in doing so, he can't stand up on one leg. Seems to me upon closer look, since weve been having to bottle feed it, because he can't get up high enough or bend his head up high enough to nurse, that his leg isn't broken, but maybe his shoulder has been pulled out of joint. Has anyone ever come across something like this? If, so what can you do for him. Grandpa's 80 + years old and stuck to his ways and seems to think it'll be fine. Any suggestions,other than the obvious go to the vet? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

First that shoulder doesn't have a ball joint like a human its a blade that is attached by ligament and tendons. Are you standing the calf up? Helping the calf walk? I have pulled some that had trouble walking for a day or two usually with a little help they are ok in a couple of days.

I had that idea, but didn't know if it'd help or hinder. How long should I do it for? Just while bottle feeding it? Can you give me a better idea? Thanks a bunch!

Could also be an infection that has settled in the joints of the front legs. If you are as green as you sound you need to find a good large animal vet.

Latest posts