new here and have a cow problem (ofcourse)

Help Support CattleToday:

vinnies

Reaction score
My husband and I have just found this website -- raise cows, horses, and kids -- now have several cows swelling in the brisket not limping or anything else -- what could cause this? By the way we live in southeastern OK

vinnies":1mhjbg3h said:
My husband and I have just found this website -- raise cows, horses, and kids -- now have several cows swelling in the brisket not limping or anything else -- what could cause this? By the way we live in southeastern OK
between the front legs /chest area -- no pictures at the time -- it's too dark and tooooooo cold

vinnies":u1envj1x said:
vinnies":u1envj1x said:
between the front legs /chest area -- no pictures at the time -- it's too dark and tooooooo cold
no just started few days ago -- one cow had it and the swelling went back down -- neighbor thought it was the cold nights -- getting infection in chest -- just need to know if we need to get to doctoring

vinnies":2bydoujx said:

How long has this been happening? Any lesions or sores on their briskets?

Do you feed with bunks. I had some calves that would shove each other and swelling would occure. Also bought some calves once were one had it. I probed and got some clear fluid out. She died later, a week or so. If you can pen the animal and feel of the swelling. Talk to a vet. Even if he or she won't come out they could help.

Scotty

Brisket disease is an altitude aggrivated problem. Doesn't seem to fit oklahoma. Pulmonary arterial Pressure test is done on those cattle. I would guess that it could be a heart related issue though, or an infection of some sort. Have these cattle been handled lately, shipped, treated, exposed or tested?

Some years back I had a cow swell up badly in the brisket, she was suffering from pulmonary edema.

Had to put her down.

Sure hope that's not what's going on with your cows.

Maybe Vicki will have a better idea.

Take care.

It sounds like edema to me also.. but unfortunately that's a symptom, not the problem. It sure sounds like something else is going on. Is getting a vet an option?