New Heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

Angus Cattle Girl

Reaction score
Hey guys! I was so excited when I got home today. One of our first calf heifers had the cutest little thing. This darlin' is to die for, including that awesome smokey color. I was thrilled because we've never had a baby this color. Only off-whitish.

szx3zm.jpg

The calf is exactly what cowboy13 said. Pretty dang close anyway. The momma is an '03 baby. This is her first calf. I just thought the little darlin was adorable. I don't know if I'm gonna show her or not. Gotta wait until she develops more.

That pic was taken on April 4th, the day the calf was born. So the pic is pretty recent. And the momma is an '04 heifer. I just love the calf's color. Never saw one so smokey before. Do any of you guys record birth weights, on all of your calves?

aroudn here smokey calvges like that do not and repeat do not sell well for soem reason feedlots dont want them not sure why

Really? I wonder why. I find the color eye appealing but black is also very eye appealing. Maybe the smokey color just isn't very popular yet. I have a bull book called "Top Sires" and they have like 4 smokey colored bulls in there. But, overall, it beats me why those calves don't sell.

How many of you record each and every calves' birth weights?
Or do you only record your show calves BW?

There is a natural tendency for certain folks to associate a quality animal with a specific colour. Amazing what advertizing has done to create colour discrimination.

Look at all the "black is best" folks out there. They are everywhere.

Smokies in my part of the world are worth about 75% of an equivalent black animal.

It is very common for similar quality animals - coloured other than black to get a discount. It does not happen everywhere, but it is very, very common.

This might be a quality animal and it might not be - but colour counts in the game today.

If we ever get one - about once every three or so years - we eat it. Save this one for your own freezer.

Regards,

Bez!

A good Smokey Steer is in high demand around here for showing. If two steers are equal in quality I would say the Smokey would bring more here. But a good one is the biggest concern with showing.

I don't know what's popular in CO right now. Haven't been to any shows lately, if there have been any. The only shows I go to in CO is my county show and the CO state fair. Do you think smokey calves will be popular at the NWSS for 2007?

Angus Cattle Girl":35f7620e said:
I don't know what's popular in CO right now. Haven't been to any shows lately, if there have been any. The only shows I go to in CO is my county show and the CO state fair. Do you think smokey calves will be popular at the NWSS for 2007?
I'd assume so in the show ring.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1h8qexrd said:
Smokies are a popular color for club calves/jackpot shows. The bull catalog "Top Sires" specializes in Club Calf Bulls.
And I don't think your cow is "ugly" AT ALL. Nice heifer.
I agree. I like both of em. :)

Latest posts