New day calf but i don't like him

Help Support CattleToday:

alabama

Reaction score
This guy I just don't like but I can't put my finger on why. His sire is Boyd's new day whitch is a good sire but it did not work this time. He has grown and gained well but he did not shed out like the others.
What is it with this bull calf?
cattle2006049.jpg

alabama - I have liked a lot of cattle you have posted.... and I am not an expert... but on my eyes like you, he is just "not good enough" I think he lacks "a little bit" not quite long enough, just a little too leggy, just a little pinched, not quite enough bone.... there are many good points on him also.

I think Mitchwi was right on target. He just does not have that special feel to him. The calf has no major structural flaws that leap right out at you, he profiles well, and has a nice head; but I would like to see him thicker, with more muscle expression (especially deeper own the rear leg), and I especially would like more substance of bone. At THIS point he does not really look like a herd sire prospect. I would wait to see what he weighs at weaning though before taking out the knife though. You apparently dislike him a lot more than I do.

I don't like him either, New Day or not.

He looks like New Days do, when they don't have acccess to a feed wagon.

Good job, you'll sort the big, high input types out and quit using them.

mtnman

That not shedding out thing seems to be catching on around here. I've got two or maybe three that look similar - just not shedding off their shoulders mostly. They have all been worked in a similar fashion, same grass, same minerals, same vaccines. Anybody have an idea about this ? Maybe a way to get this hair off of them.

Bull Buyer,

Usually the hot weather combined with good nutrition and worming will get them to slick off. We still have a few that haven't slicked off even with the triple digits temps lately. I will be giving them a full body clip soon to get them ready for sale photos. If you try this be sure to run the clippers with the grain (direction of the hair).

Bull

How bout this idea?

Use bulls that are able to be "genetically" slick and quit fooling around trying to get more performance.

I think much of the problem with these animals is that they are just plain "out of whack" with their hormones since they aren't bred right, by real breeders.

Heterozygous wrecks.

mtnman

The only thing i see really wrong with him is his muscle just doesn't carry down his legs far enough and maybe just a little sheathy in the front. other than that he is a good looking calf .

i've had too many people want to blame not slicking off on dewormers or lack there of. I would say if you have dewormed and they still haven't slicked off and the hair is dull and dead looking then you may need to evaluate your mineral program a little more heavily.

Is he on fescue pasture? Some calves, even out of bulls and cows that slick out, just own;t slick out well on fescue. They're generally decent enough calves but just don;t have that certain something about them. When they get really stressed they'll generally turn into poorer doers then others.

dun

He is on good mineral, feed and been wormed several times. He has always breathed harder than other calves. I will try to post a picture of some of his contemporaries.
He will get a trip across the scales at home and a 205-day weight but he is sure in danger of getting a ride on the next thing smoking leaving my place.
He is a big calf but something just ain't right about him. BTY this little sweep pin is just the thing for working calves and breding heifers. It is kind of light foe a herd of cows though.
cattle2006056.jpg

cattle2006047.jpg

he is a real leggy calf.but my eyes see a short coupled bull calf.that has more leg than he does body.i agree he should get a free ride to town.an as for the slicking off some cows an calves wont slick off.no matter what you do to them.

Latest posts