New Computer

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
my house computer has died last week we have a laptop but it doesnt have the video editing picture editing software that was built into our home desktop. I have been fooling with it trying to get it to work all i could do is get all our files off it and my it guy says he can fix it and put in a new hard drive but for all that I may as well buy a new computer. My wife is getting down right IRATE cause she can't edit videos and download all the music and movies anymore. I gotta pull the trigger on something for the last 16 years all I have had is dell and HP they both lasted a good 5-8 years then I needed to replace. I like desktops over laptops so does my wife what do you all use laptop or desktops ? I am thinking about going laptop exclusively for portability.

2 desktops and 2 laptops. all but one are Dell refurbs. One laptop is a gateway, can you spell craparoo. It takes a good 5 minutes to boot and is SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW at everything.

Macbook pro. Even if you not used to an apple its just like an IPHONE f you have one already. I would never go back to a pc with virus's and all the other nonsense.

dun":2fajs1yt said:
2 desktops and 2 laptops. all but one are Dell refurbs. One laptop is a gateway, can you spell craparoo. It takes a good 5 minutes to boot and is SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW at everything.

I bought an acer desktop 5 or 6 years ago and it has been a good one till recently. I will probably buy another .

The best thing is you got your hard drive backed up in time. I think they are all crapola right now. Our business network was set up on windows XP, as per the business software recommendation, four years later the software dosen't support XP, have to get all on windows 7 pro ....... The software isn't compatible with the new windows 8! :mad: a thousand or so should do it. :mad:

Thanks Sky for getting me fired up again. :lol:

I've got a dell desktop and home and haven't used it in several years. Work supplies me a laptop, so i've gotten pretty fond of them. My current one is a Dell and the one before that was a Toshiba Satellite Pro. Really liked the Toshiba for CAD and Solidworks. Dell is fine for home though. :2cents:

Pretty much any desktop will work nowadays. I bought an Acer about 6 years ago for parents. Thought it might last a couple years before it died, but it's still humming along and only cost 400 new. I myself run a custom unit that I built myself. Cost me about $1200 and was hi-end 6 years ago. You could find someone to build your own, with the best components for about $800-$1000 plus labor. But doesn't help much if you really need the service and help support of a manufacturer.

The fact you were able to save all your files is the only thing that matters. The rest can be replaced.

I would advise you to find or build something with Windows 7. Windows 8 is supposedly as bad as Vista was. I really like Windows 7, it is about as stable and user friendly as XP was.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I will probably get another desktop I have looked at dell and hp websites and they look comparable price wise and I will also go check sams club when I go this week. As some of you mentioned im glad I got all my files the portable hard drives are worth their weight in gold.

dun":2xoblc49 said:

craparoo :lol:

shadyhollownj":2xoblc49 said:
Macbook pro. Even if you not used to an apple its just like an IPHONE f you have one already. I would never go back to a pc with virus's and all the other nonsense.

wow you cant get viruses on those? I thought any pc you could get a virus im not a big technology person.

Alan":2xoblc49 said:
The best thing is you got your hard drive backed up in time. I think they are all crapola right now. Our business network was set up on windows XP, as per the business software recommendation, four years later the software dosen't support XP, have to get all on windows 7 pro ....... The software isn't compatible with the new windows 8! :mad: a thousand or so should do it. :mad:

Thanks Sky for getting me fired up again. :lol:

Alan anything for you buddy ;-) :)

shadyhollownj":scx0p671 said:
No Sky no viruses. No issues. Pcs are stone age like most guys on here Lol.

:) funny. I hate all those viruses and protection you have to do. I wish someone who is smart enough to make those viruses would cure some of these bad diseases we have, use their brain for good instead of bad.

Alan":scx0p671 said:
Sky, with friends like you who needs enemas? :lol:

:tiphat:

I like ASUS computers. This desktop is a few years old and is doing good. Daughter replaced her old Dell laptop with a ASUS and likes it. My son has a ASUS computer built more for gaming. We have gotten good deals from Best Buy.

Nothing beats homemade.
050.JPG

046.JPG

But for prefabs I would buy Asus or Dell. Gateway you might as well light it on fire, and roll down a hill.

serious piece of office machinery there sim... I had to look twice to make sure it wasn't a car with the hood up lol

If you are editing video files you want lots of RAM. The more the better. Get the best video card you can. Get a backup hard drive you can use to mirror your data drive or use for full backups or better yet, one as a mirror and one as a backup.

Apple is well known as the platform of choice for video and movie editing as well as sound mixing. But both hardware and software come at premium prices.

While virus's are not as much a problem in the IOS and OS X world, they do exist and there are anti virus solutions available for OS X.

If you and your wife clash over display time consider getting a high end Mac and running a virtual machine delivering to a cheap laptop. She sits at the Mac and you slink off to use the cheapo laptop.

Latest posts