New cattle owner with a sharp pencil.

Help Support CattleToday:

Porkchopfat

Reaction score
New to the form. Asking for my son about cattle feeding. He has a FFA County project steer and a registered heifer for the majors at Fort Worth and Houston. We live in Wood County Texas which is in the Northeast part of the state. The pencil part comes in on growing grass. I can spend somewhere around 12 to $1,300 on fertilizer and lime. Or I could spend that about the equal amount on hay. This is a two-year project and don't look to have cattle because we don't have enough room for getting into the larger operation. So what's your sharp pencils does that all compute to you as well. Or do cattle like to have something to graze on as their preferred method of getting their nutrition.

If you don't plan to continue with cattle, I'd put the $ towards hay. You'll prob need to buy some hay regardless of how you improve your land, but the Texas boys could answer how much hay better then me. Be careful not to catch the cattle bug, or else you might as well throw that pencil away (you may be happier though)..

My problem with FFA when my kids were young was they didn't teach them to pencil. People would just spend alot of money to win, not teach kids how to count cost. The 4h was better about that. Mine did hogs and we kept records of how much we spent and then the premium money plus butchering or selling the hogs to make back your money. Now 2 out of 3 of my sons farm now. fertilizing your ground will save you on feeding and the cattle want to graze, but you need to feed hay and grain as well. And a heifer project will be hard to part with, they get attached to the animals, nothing better than having a calf out of a project (pet). I always tried to avoid the female projects.

IF you are asking for advice on how to feed your show animals you are probably better off asking on the show board. I'm pretty sure those animals don't even eat grass any more. Last I heard they keep them in what looks like a walk in freezer with a treadmill and an IV. The lights are on a timer so simulate day and night.

Thanks for the input so far. I already have a cattle bug but get my fix thru the kids projects. We are having to pencil it all out because some of the money came from calf scramble winnings. I don't think we will be winners because we don't have the freezer or treadmill. I believe in cattle outside and leading cattle lives. We have 5 acres in Bermuda grass and rr crabgrass.

Porkchopfat":389m4zs6 said:
Thanks for the input so far. I already have a cattle bug but get my fix thru the kids projects. We are having to pencil it all out because some of the money came from calf scramble winnings. I don't think we will be winners because we don't have the freezer or treadmill. I believe in cattle outside and leading cattle lives. We have 5 acres in Bermuda grass and rr crabgrass.
I would just put that money towards hay and feed.

Being in that part of the state I would second hay and feed. Not that it matters, but what breed is the heifer?

Hereford is the breed. Soil sample has been sent off. Waiting on results. I will be willing to bet 2 tons per acre lime and heavy fertilizer as neither has been done in 30 plus years. Glad to know my pencil is working. I will probably still try a acre or so of prine ryegrass and red clover.

First off, WELCOME to Cattle Today. With the show steer and heifer, you will be feeding grain to get the right amount of show condition so I would suggest you buy your hay. Once your son has finished his project, your 5 acres of ryegrass and clover could be used to grow some lightweight calves to feeder size. You are close enough to Sulphur Springs to sell in the NETBIO sales that would take your 4 or 5 feeder calves and comingle them into truckload lots to get you the economy of scale of selling a truckload lot.

Not a bad idea bc thanks for the tip. I have been trying to get up to sulphur Springs for a while now. We have been going toEmory to watch the auction. Need to go up to SS to talk to the bulk feed place anyhow.

The next NETBIO sale is September 21. Go to the Sulphur Springs Livestock Auctions website and click on NETBIO for dates and health protocols. If you can not make the sale, you can watch it by going to www.lmaauctions.com You will have to create an account (doesn't mean you have to buy). It will let you watch sales all over the US.

Latest posts