New Calf

Help Support CattleToday:

alisonb

Reaction score
At about 9pm i went to check up on a cow that was calving. It is icey here,wind howling and they reckon it will hit -6deg tonight.Anyway i sat shivering my butt off waiting for cow's water to break. After about a half hour(which felt like 2hrs)i decided to take closer look. Oops,hooves upside down,no head. Felt around a bit-big back legs and a tail,the big pull was on.Huge relief that it was not a breach.Tugged+pulled and eventually-plop,a nice looking bull calf. Have to make sure he finds a teat now, and by making sure of that i know the chances of the afterbirth coming out cleanly are so much better. Woolies on,here i go.Brrrrr!

Good for you, he should be just fine if you were there in time. Hard to think about -6 C. Yesterday was a high of 35 C, and I got to work out in it all day. Today was a bit cooler, only 33 C.

alisonb":3hduhwk4 said:
At about 9pm i went to check up on a cow that was calving. It is icey here,wind howling and they reckon it will hit -6deg tonight.Anyway i sat shivering my butt off waiting for cow's water to break. After about a half hour(which felt like 2hrs)i decided to take closer look. Oops,hooves upside down,no head. Felt around a bit-big back legs and a tail,the big pull was on.Huge relief that it was not a breach.Tugged+pulled and eventually-plop,a nice looking bull calf. Have to make sure he finds a teat now, and by making sure of that i know the chances of the afterbirth coming out cleanly are so much better. Woolies on,here i go.Brrrrr!

Welkom hier op CT, lekker om nog iemand van die 3de wêreld hier te hê.

I was in Colesberg, actually closer to Noupoort, last week to attend a annual judges get together and I think it was the coldest I've ever got. The breeder on which's farm it was held had to supply extra coats and beanies since we were outside in the kraal all day for two days. Was -5.5 last Thursday morning, us Western Cape folks aren't build for the cold.

All well with the boy and mother,afterbirth out nicely. It did not quite hit -6deg last night but hot water pipes all frozzzzen up-fun fun fun! As you say,hard to imagine opposites,our temperatures start reaching the 30s in November.Drink lots of water and keep the hat on!

Thanks Knersie! Nice to know someone else is feeling the weather with me. August winds have arrived a bit early this year!!

Latest posts