New calf out

Help Support CattleToday:

herofan

Reaction score
So, I'm driving along the field and a three day old calf hops up, starts running with full energy, and goes through the fence into the woods; mom was grazing on top of the hill. I looked and can't find the calf. Will it probably find it's way back to mom on it's own, or is this big trouble? It happened about an hour ago, so, it's dark and I can't do much. thanks.

99% of the time they find there way back without our assistance. Sometimes looking for them spooks them worse and makes it harder for them to come back

dun":1w8gszbk said:
99% of the time they find there way back without our assistance. Sometimes looking for them spooks them worse and makes it harder for them to come back

Thanks. I wouldn't be too worried if a fence wasn't between them. We have a strand of electric wire against an old woven wire fence, which is decent in some places and not so much in others. I'm sure the energy of being startled drove her through. I hope she can have the energy to make here way back.

Still no sign of the calf this morning. Mom is grazing with the herd seemingly unconcerned. Perhaps they reunited and she's just keeping the calf hidden out a while longer. No way to tell. :?:

herofan":1x4rmggj said:
Still no sign of the calf this morning. Mom is grazing with the herd seemingly unconcerned. Perhaps they reunited and she's just keeping the calf hidden out a while longer. No way to tell. :?:
Does she look sucked down?

tom4018":1am3t2wy said:
herofan":1am3t2wy said:

She has one front teat that is much larger than the others, but she's always been a little out of proportion.

herofan":10ie6194 said:
tom4018":10ie6194 said:
herofan":10ie6194 said:

She has one front teat that is much larger than the others, but she's always been a little out of proportion.

I'm sure that description shows how inexperienced I really am.

Yeeeeeeeeees! The calf is back! I just made another run through the field, and there she was with mom. A solid black little calf with Red-Angus mom. dun, I'm glad it was on of the 99% that made it back!

I have had that happen with 7 day old or less calves before, I've never had them stay gone more than 36 hours. But it's no fun when they run off like that.

Latest posts