New calf born today!

Help Support CattleToday:

Jovid

Reaction score
78 lb bull calf up and sucking in 30 minutes. :D

Unfortunately he wasn't born with an ear tag like 3way's calf.

0224111507a.jpg

0224111506a.jpg

Unfortunately he wasn't born with an ear tag like 3way's calf.

What can I say I get em quick.

snickers":394wkx5k said:
how old is the cow? and I'm assume she is a red angus?

Cow was born 11/05. She was orphaned at 1 month and stole milk till she was two months old when I got her for my granddaughter to show. This is her 4th calf and she is a Red Poll :D

Here is a picture of her at 16 months old

Scan1.jpg

snickers":ma62ifvw said:
how old is the cow? and I'm assume she is a red angus?

I'll save Jovid the trouble. He raises Red Polls, and some darned good ones at that.

Jovid did you ever check out how well red polls did at the MARC test on cow diet pre and post calving. Basically they had four groups of cows on these energy regimes pre and post calving. low/low, low/high, high/low and high/high. The low/low group were pretty much starved before and after calving-the Red Poll cows were the only group that bred back with any success under it. This was back in 1990 when I toured MARC.

Northern Rancher":107iuesp said:
Jovid did you ever check out how well red polls did at the MARC test on cow diet pre and post calving. Basically they had four groups of cows on these energy regimes pre and post calving. low/low, low/high, high/low and high/high. The low/low group were pretty much starved before and after calving-the Red Poll cows were the only group that bred back with any success under it. This was back in 1990 when I toured MARC.

I actually knew that. We met Dr Gregory at MARC and he explained in detail all the research they had done with Red Polls.

We usually don't have any trouble with them breeding back. In fact all our spring calvers moved up at least one cycle and one cow moved up two. She calved last year the middle of March and she had a calf on January 27th. We normally don't calve this early but we didn't pull the bull last year for a couple of reasons. It has been interesting calving in the snow and 28 below zero temps. We only have two cows and 2 heifers left to calve.

Northern Rancher":1snyvcci said:
No if anything RP cattle seem to be very ferile.

We usually wean our heifer calves at 6 months to keep them from getting bred.

Latest posts