New Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

rattler

Reaction score
Around the first of the year I am going to have to buy a new Herd bull. My question is how far do you go in search of a new bull.

rattler

rattler":2yo4kusp said:
Around the first of the year I am going to have to buy a new Herd bull. My question is how far do you go in search of a new bull.

rattler
Rattler,
Distance can't be measured when it comes to searching for a new Bull.It all depends on how serious you are about Genetics and quality. I'd start searching for one now.

rattler":13d4np70 said:

rattler

I wouldn't go any further south than Montgomery, Alabama! :lol:

Calving ease is my number one consideration. If you lose a cow or calf, it cuts deep into the pocket. Especially if you are small potatoes like I am.

Thanks for the replies to my question I do appreciate it. Crowder we are serious about genetics and improving herd production. We have considered birth weight, calving ease, etc.We have looked into several bulls already but plan to search more. Haven't searched Mont. Ala. as of yet but will soon Ha ha :D

Thanks again,
rattler

Congrats to Katherine and Backhoeboogie on bcoming gurus

a good bull is one half of your herd,
but a bad one is all of it. Go wherever you have to to get one that fits the project.

Crowderfarms":1u2op0vh said:
rattler":1u2op0vh said:

rattler
Rattler,
Distance can't be measured when it comes to searching for a new Bull.It all depends on how serious you are about Genetics and quality. I'd start searching for one now.

Good advice.

rattler":1eygpy22 said:

rattler

If I were you, I would go as far as Norwood, NC on Jan 6 for the Pee Dee River Valley Genetic Advantage Sale.

there will be 50+ Reg Angus bulls and there are plenty of folks in the area that will tell you how much they like the bulls they get there.

;-)

As far as the popular breeds.

I'd bet the same bloodlines are available in NC as you would find in MT.

Get a good one. :)

mnmt

When I first started this is were I had to go to get my bulls.

44f1d1ec-00054-0569c-87c10c40_rnd_9978.JPG

Remember your bull is 50% of your calf crops so don't settle for less. If you can find the kind of bull that fits with your herd and your production plans close by great! But if not don't just settle for what is handy go out and find him.

I would like to say thank,s for all the reply,s.We do appericate each and everyone of you.Dang S.R.R you done some travling.

rattler

rattler":27rads5e said:
I would like to say thank,s for all the reply,s.We do appericate each and everyone of you.Dang S.R.R you done some travling.

rattler

Luck for me I can go by air the bulls got the long over land trip!

We've gone as far as 1600 miles also. And I agree.. start looking now! Last time I got in a jam and it took me almost 2 months to find a good one. Of course, that no doubt is because of Murphy's Law. :roll:

I would think it would depend on certain varibles.

What breed? If looking for Longhorn or other Specialized breed you might have to travel long ways and search hard. Depending on what is popular in your area.

Are you wanting to retain heifers to build a herd? If so you got to really increase the intensity of your Bull search because like other have stated it is 50% of your herd.

If you are looking for easy calving, and or a terminal bull of a breed that is popular in your area, say like Angus. Then I would think that you should be able to find a good bull to fit this need somewhere fairly close.

Lots of variables come into play on bull selection and how available they are in your area.

rattler, consider contracting out your bulls, You know your cow herd better then anyone else, You also know where you want your herd to go. With the use today of ET, producers can pick sires, choose females, and get bulls they want. You know every good bull has a better mother and then you can see what the bulls daughter should look like..... It does take some planning though. Usually you can get better genetic bulls, at cheaper prices by contracting bulls also. I have a list of breeders that do this, contact me if your interest by P.M>

Latest posts