New Bull Looking for a Sugar Mamma

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
We bought a new bull to put with heifers as they came in 2 months after their first calf. To my surprise, I caught him nursing the heifers that were due to calve in the next few weeks. The heifers were just standing there letting him do it! One of the heifers who is boss; this was very out of character for her. I had to get him out of there quick.

I sent him away, and brought another bull in. I caught the next one checking out one of the heifers that was due to calve really soon, and he was all around the udder area, and I was afraid he was going to nurse, but he did not. I don't know if it is a hormone they are giving off that the bull can detect, that makes him want to nurse or what.

Have any of you noticed your bulls nursing right before they give birth? Or do I just have a "Bull that sucks?"
Chuckie

Chuckie":3txpcotn said:
We bought a new bull to put with heifers as they came in 2 months after their first calf. To my surprise, I caught him nursing the heifers that were due to calve in the next few weeks. The heifers were just standing there letting him do it! One of the heifers who is boss; this was very out of character for her. I had to get him out of there quick.

I sent him away, and brought another bull in. I caught the next one checking out one of the heifers that was due to calve really soon, and he was all around the udder area, and I was afraid he was going to nurse, but he did not. I don't know if it is a hormone they are giving off that the bull can detect, that makes him want to nurse or what.

Have any of you noticed your bulls nursing right before they give birth? Or do I just have a "Bull that sucks?"
Chuckie

I often find myself with the urge to nurse. :oops: :p

I separated my bulls from the March-calving heifers and cows a week or two ago. They will not go back in with the females until June at which time no cow or heifer will let him suck (or if they do they are gone).

Why not just pull the bull and keep him away from the females until your bull-in date? Anything else is just asking for problems I would think.

Jim

3waycross":1tzfm3as said:
TexasBred":1tzfm3as said:
I often find myself with the urge to nurse. :oops: :p

We're born with that instinct and seldom lose it. :cowboy:

AHHHHHHHHHHH truer words were never spoken! ;-)

I have read that some bulls use it as a type of "foreplay"... A hormonal thing... I had one bull which during breeding time I caught him looking like he was trying to nurse from the back a couple of times--but later after breeding season was over never saw him even try...

Oldtimer":223e1ylj said:
I have read that some bulls use it as a type of "foreplay"... A hormonal thing... I had one bull which during breeding time I caught him looking like he was trying to nurse from the back a couple of times--but later after breeding season was over never saw him even try...
I thought of bull forplay as "Nudge, are you awake"

Believe me, this was not foreplay, it lasted longer than two minutes :shock:

We kept the bull, we want to see what kind of babies he puts on the ground, so he will become fashonably correct. He will get a nose ring with a crown. That trait is not a favorite of mine. Nor is the jewelry.
His name will be changed from "Rito" to "The African King." Get it......nose ring and the crown? :roll: The bull had high weaning weights on good pasture. If he can pass that trait, then I can pretend not to see the ring.

We had a cow that would watch for a calf to start nursing, and she would come in from behind; nurse with the calf, then butt the small calves off. She was pretty smart to watch for the calves nursing, and not be detected.
We brought her in and put the ring with the crown (spikes) in her nose. Her name became the African Queen. Then it was fun to watch her to go from cow to cow as she watched the calves nurse. She was kicked so many times. She was a good cow, and had one every year, but I hated to look at that ring. The bull or cow would have to be a little better than average.

If I had a cow or bull that I did not like, I would send it packing. But if I thought it had something to offer to my herd or pocketbook, I would keep it.
Chuckie

Chuckie":280qh660 said:
Believe me, this was not foreplay, it lasted longer than two minutes :shock:
So if it's longer than 2 minutes it's not considered foreplay anymore? lol

Seriously, why is the bull with them during calving? As SRB suggested, why not segregate until after they have calved out?