New addition

Help Support CattleToday:

sske

Reaction score
This is a new heifer I picked up the other day, don't know the exact breed, what breed/breeds do you guys think she is? While my vet was here looking at another cow he said he thought possibly shorthorn/hereford. So your guess is as good as mine.

All I know is that she has Hereford in her but good luck with figure out what other breeds she has in her.

That's where I'm at too, so I figured it couldn't hurt anything to ask on here and see what everyone else thinks.

There's really no telling for sure.
Have one here that would have looked like that as a calf - Shorthorn-sired out of a 3/4 Angus-1/4 Simmental cow... no Hereford anywhere in her ancestry.

Lucky_P":5qy3kpyb said:
There's really no telling for sure.
Have one here that would have looked like that as a calf - Shorthorn-sired out of a 3/4 Angus-1/4 Simmental cow... no Hereford anywhere in her ancestry.
To be fair, Hereford crosses outnumbered shorthorn crosses easily.

True dat - but a white/blaze/mottled face doesn't necessarily mean 'Hereford'.
Plenty here like that from Simmental influence... with no Hereford anywhere behind them.

Lucky_P":282a8k82 said:
True dat - but a white/blaze/mottled face doesn't necessarily mean 'Hereford'.
Plenty here like that from Simmental influence... with no Hereford anywhere behind them.
I don't know about that. Simmental doesn't throw a mottled face that much and their white face are completely different gene from Herefords.

When we bought our Herefords, they were running with a Salers bull. Those calves looked similar to the one you have pictured, but I'm going to guess the possibility of it being Shorthorn is pretty good.

Latest posts