New 12 Ga. Shotgun

Help Support CattleToday:

kerley

Reaction score
I have not bought a new shotgun for myself in over thirty years. I currently have a Winchester Model 11. Automatic with full choke. It is way to heavy and has a hair trigger, and kicks like a angry mule. I am not as fast or strong as when I was young. I want a 12ga. new or used pump, with a shorter barrel. What do you hunters suggest. I appreciate all advice.
Tom.

I'm about in the same boat as you. I have a Remington 1100 w/modified choke and 26" barrel. I've been thinking about an 11-87 with screw in choke tubes. Maybe that's an old gun now, don't really know.

I've always been told that the length of the barrel should be purchased for the kind of hunting you plan on doing. Long barrels for duck and goose hunting, shorter barrels (24 or 26") for quail or dove hunting. Shorter barrels for quick action , getting the gun up and pointed before the bird is out of range. And if you've ever quail hunted you know what I mean.

Ok, that's my two cents worth. Let us know what you get.

kerley":37u9t7bj said:
I have not bought a new shotgun for myself in over thirty years. I currently have a Winchester Model 11. Automatic with full choke. It is way to heavy and has a hair trigger, and kicks like a angry mule. I am not as fast or strong as when I was young. I want a 12ga. new or used pump, with a shorter barrel. What do you hunters suggest. I appreciate all advice.
Tom.

Kerley...anything will be lighter and kick less than that Model 11. Those get meat on both ends. I have a couple of 12 gauges but my favorite is still a Browning Sweet 16..had it a long time and still love it.

I always liked the A5 Brownings for small game. I started with the Sweet 16. I also like the Light 12.

I liked my old M37 Ithaca for deer.

I don't need another shotgun, but that LC SMITH over/under sure feels great. I simply had to hand it back across the counter and walk out with the two 9 mm's I had purchased. They were the only reason I went. Been thinking about that LC SMITH for over a week now. $900.

Earl Thigpen":19fyxetd said:
I'm about in the same boat as you. I have a Remington 1100 w/modified choke and 26" barrel. I've been thinking about an 11-87 with screw in choke tubes. Maybe that's an old gun now, don't really know.

I've always been told that the length of the barrel should be purchased for the kind of hunting you plan on doing. Long barrels for duck and goose hunting, shorter barrels (24 or 26") for quail or dove hunting. Shorter barrels for quick action , getting the gun up and pointed before the bird is out of range. And if you've ever quail hunted you know what I mean.

Earl, I got one of those 11-87's and I like it real well. Still kicks, but dont they all? :lol:
Also those Bennelli's are hard to beat.... in price too.

backhoeboogie":1qguigkk said:
I don't need another shotgun, but that LC SMITH over/under sure feels great. I simply had to hand it back across the counter and walk out with the two 9 mm's I had purchased. They were the only reason I went. Been thinking about that LC SMITH for over a week now. $900.
Next check. :santa:

I like my Remington 1100. Doesn't seem to kick too bad to me.

Earl Thigpen":3hc7s1qz said:

Good idea, I will buy your 1100 from you right now. Where can I meet you, I will bring cash. ;-)

(Don't do it, 1100s are some of the most dependable shotguns ever made, 11-87s are junk. Just my opinion.)

I like the 1100s by far, that would be my first thought. If you feel you must spend money both Benelli and Beretta make some very nice, light weight, automatics. Don't care for over and unders.

My grandson is shooting skeet in 4-H. I bought him an 11-87 20 ga. It will not feed the lighter loads that the 4-H supplies. (1200 fps) I am buying him 1225 fps loads, and they feed alright. I bought an over sized O ring for the gas tube, and still no luck with the lighter loads. I wanted an 1100 for him, but they dont make a youth model. Mayby after a few thousand rounds it will loosin up, one can only hope, but I am not real proud of the 11-87.

I've got a new 11-87, thumbhole stock and rifled barrel. I absolutley love it. It doesnt hardly kick at all and it is extremely accurate out to 150 yds. The only downside to the gun is that it is quite heavy. I'm sure it would kick more if it was lighter.

Are we talking about the same thing? I dont know of any shotgun exept the 45-410 with a rifled barrel. And I shure dont know of one that will shoot 150 yards.

Latest posts